• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Editing Program for Windows

Hello,

I am filming my first real movie beginning 2 weeks from now, and I will need to edit it afterwards (duh). What I need to know is... What program do I get ?!?!

Thanks!

Well, that is a matter of personal opinion. I personally like Adobe Premiere, it has many of the features I like and is pretty intuitive. Out of all of the editing software that you used which one did you have the easiest time manipulating the footage the way you want? What can your computer handle versus what type of requirements of the software. What is your budget?
Just some of the things to look out for when getting a video editing program.

The best of luck to you.

I'd say if you're on a deadline, go with what you are most comfortable. It Really depends on what the requirements of the project are (fx heavy? straight cuts/dissolves?, etc?). I've never been a big fan of Premiere, but the editors I know who use it on a regular basis rave about it. Personally, I love the Avid products on both the PC and Mac side. Working in Avid gives you tons of flexibility. You can work on both Macs/PCs and easily move between lower end and higher end editing systems. It's also what a lot of professional post houses use, so if you need to take your project somewhere else to do something (e.g. master to a high end tape format, etc.) it's usually not a problem.

Don't know about Avid. I use Vegas' lite version and I'm really happy with it. As I understand it, the lite Vegas has the same user interface as the Vegas Pro, it just disables some of the advanced features and limits the number of audio/video tracks you can work with.

Will -- I specifically mentioned the user interface because I was so surprised at the difference between Pinnacle Studio and Pinnacle Liquid. Studio came with my PC when I bought it, so I learned on it. When I had an opportunity to test Liquid (can't remember if it was a trial or if I was at my friend's house), I couldn't figure out what I was looking at...it was so different.

That's why I went with Vegas. The lite version looks and works the same -- just adds more functionality. AND -- Vegas offers a special upgrade path to the Pro version if you buy the lite, so you don't waste the money on the lite if you decide to go Pro.

If you haven't used Avid before, be prepared. It's not like FCP, Premiere, or Vegas. It is not for editors who like to edit in the timeline. I'm not saying its a bad tool, I'm saying its totally different mindset than the other 3 I named.

If you've never used Avid and your on a deadline I say go with the others, but if you've got some time to learn a new tool then go Avid. It is better.

Depends on what kind of FX ur talking about. Avid is what Rob Rod uses. I've seen some pretty amazing things being done with the full version of Vegas though. Vegas was fun to use and there's a lot of support groups out there helping each other out, can't say the same for Avid.

Back