• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short question

Is there a technical term to the shooting style where time is distorted? Like if a scene was shown in fast forward or skips short segments of time to give a jumpy/jagged look.

Long Answer

It's been years since I learned all of that stuff, but I think the dropped frames is called "Step Printing" - or else that's the opposite where they add frames.

Either way, for script purposes, I'd just describe what the audience is going to see without any technical terms. Here's a LONG example from the very end of the script I'm getting ready to produce:

WE ZIP BACKWARDS THROUGH TIME - everything around the Top Cat backpack a blur of motion.

EXT. THE PIER -- NIGHT

Stopping when Sandi hands Laura (in her bathing suit) the Top Cat backpack filled with her clothes. Laura pulls Sandi into her arms and kisses her - one hell of a kiss. A DRUNK in the background watches them make out.

ZIP BACKWARDS - Sandi seems to take back the backpack, she and Laura get on the boat... then everything but an oar becomes a blur of motion.

EXT. OCEAN -- NIGHT

Stopping when Sandi rows the boat to the buoy, where Laura clings for her life. Sandi helps Laura into the boat.

ZIP BACK - everything around the Top Cat backpack on Sandi's back a blur of motion.

INT. BEACH HOUSE BEDROOM -- NIGHT

Sandi sets the Top Cat backpack down next to the dresser, counts down to drawer number four and opens it.

Behind the clothes in the fourth drawer - a vial of pills. Sandi tosses the vial into the backpack with Laura's clothes.

ZIP BACK - everything around the pill vial a blur.

I think anyone reading that would get an idea of what I want. The best thing about doing it without the tech terms is that actors will understand it - and you need them to get the film made.

- Bill

If I understand the question correctly - Time lapse.

Yes, it can be done easily in post on a non-linear editing system. Or, if shooting on film, it can be done in-camera, by shooting @ less than 24 fps, but playing back at 24 fps. This is how you watch a flower blossom in mere seconds on nature programs.

Perhaps if you specified the scene and reason for the effect. Is there a reason? Or is it superficial style?

You're talking at the script level, right? I'd spell it out clearly unless you're planning to direct yourself.

I started playing with an interesting style in my current script of writing long dialogue scenes and then cutting all but the most interesting bits, so the scene jumps from emotion to emotion really abruptly. I just put JUMP TIME TO - MOMENTS LATER and keep going.

Back