• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Why You Don’t Always Need a Screenplay to Make a Great Film

You don't need a script to make a film; but with a script, you will be more organize. It's just like writing a storyboard or not, when you're directing your film. You don't have to; but it would be easier to follow, If you get stuck you'll have something to go back to, and you would be more organize.

I'm inclined to agree and disagree on that op. If you're John milius or charlie kaufman then formatting and grammar isn't all that important because they trust you at that point, but if you're brand new they have no choice but to be critical. I mean you can probably get away with some spelling, grammar, and formatting errors if the story is drop dead gorgeous, but for new writers it's important to present your best self. It's like the difference between going into a job interview where you know no one versus going into an interview with a company you've been socializing with for years.

I had some coffee with an entertainment lawyer for a big production company once and he pretty much advised me not to just send in a script, but also a proof-of-concept because even if the script is medicore, if the vision is great and engaging enough, they'll at least be more inclined to invest in you by either optioning your idea or have you write a script for another idea.

At the end of the day, it's pretty much like going up to an investor for your company. You have a product that you want to sell, so make it as sexy as humanly possible. Make a proof of concept. Make a poster for it. Get some concept pieces done, write a treatment, and write a script. The easier you can get them to envision your idea the more likely they'll want to do something with you. Doesn't mean you'll be writing the next award-winNing script or directing a 200 million movie, but at least you'll get an in and begin to work your way up.

Four writers are credited for screenplay on Iron Man. Means they had several drafts before starting shooting. What Jeff Bridges says can only mean that they were still tweaking on the final draft when he sat in his trailer.

The odds of making a great film without a good or great script are slim. Some very few filmmakers can pull it off. (Mike Leigh is one who can do it.) This does not mean the script has to written in stone before walking onto set. You can have a great script that can evolve during shooting and have actors add improvised lines, but without a strong narrative backbone, most films will fail.

Scott

I strongly disagree. Scripting can often hold back creativity.

Do you have any examples where scripting held back creativity?

Do you believe the odds of making a great film are high without a good or great script?

Last edited:
I strongly disagree. Scripting can often hold back creativity.

As a comedian I can see why you'd think that, but there is no reason for that to be the case. Some of the funniest moments in comedy shows are ad libs from actors who are good at playing off one another - but at the same time, the script is there to provide structure and direction. A good director is one who sees the value of both a solid script and the unexpected moments of genius provided by actors inhabiting characters and improvising.

I would argue that anything with a narrative structure more complex than a short improv sketch really does need a solid script.

This all may be true but to make a great film shouldn't you make sure all the elements are great at least in your opinion? A lot of this is post-analysis which surely could happen to your film as well; the script could be panned after the film is made, but does that mean you go into the project thinking "You don't need a great chassis to build a great car"?

I would argue that anything with a narrative structure more complex than a short improv sketch really does need a solid script.

Improv sketches follow a narrative structure. But that's beside the point.

As for feature films, if you take it one scene at a time (which forces you to take extra care in crafting a great scene every chance you get) and every actor has training in improvisation (which is simultaneously the best acting AND writing training you can receive) you would be surprised with the results. At the very least, it will be on par with a movie that had a decent script, provided that you edit well.

the script is there to provide structure and direction.

Go watch an improv show. If you think you need a script for this, then You'd be amazed at what you see. I could provide you with descriptions of the techniques if you have any questions. (for the record if you do watch something to see this in action, no shortform shit like Whose Line Is It Anyway. that's not true improv.)

Do you have any examples where scripting held back creativity?

Every bad movie that has ever been made. Especially when the people making the movie knew it was bad.

Do you believe the odds of making a great film are high without a good or great script?

If the creative team and actors (I guess this would make the actors part of the creative team) know what they are doing, knows the genuine process of improv, not just "winging it" or whatever the uninitiated may think improv is, then I think the odds are higher.

but does that mean you go into the project thinking "You don't need a great chassis to build a great car"?

I didn't say go in without an idea. That's not what improv is.

Improvisation doesn't mean you don't have any material to work with.

In Improv, you're using a very specific creative process, and it works very well in comedy, which is ultimately more difficult to pull off well than any other genre. Hell, Improv Drama has become popular over the past few years and, using the same process for comedy, provides great dramatic results, with much less effort.

There is no reason it wouldn't be beneficial in the hands of a creative team that knows what they're doing.

"You don't need a great chassis to build a great car"?

Think of it like this: 'you have a great chassis, you want to build a great car. Either you learn to build great cars and build this with love, attention to detail, and a proven technique, OR you can use this step-by-step lego construction guide and maybe it'll turn out good. '

Last edited:
What Jeff Bridges says can only mean that they were still tweaking on the final draft when he sat in his trailer.

This is not true. Jon Favreau came from an Improv background. He relies heavily on improvisation to make all of his movies.

Every bad movie that has ever been made. Especially when the people making the movie knew it was bad.
That avoids my question and dismisses discussion. I think you know
my reputation here – at least a little. I'm not trying to dismiss your
statement or “win” an argument, I'm curious. Your statement was
vague and all I was hoping for is a little clarity – maybe an example
or two so I could better understand where you're coming from.

Improv sketches follow a narrative structure. But that's beside the point.

I don't think I said they didn't have a narrative structure, as that is self-evident. What I said was that anything with a narrative structure more complex than a sketch is going to be difficult to achieve without a script. I'm sure there are people who could pull it off, but I don't think most movies would benefit from an exclusively improvised process. There have been some very good semi-improvised TV comedy/dramas though - but there is still a script to riff around - and some of the funniest moments in scripted TV shows have come about as adlibs by talented comedy actors.

Back