• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch New short - ROCK BOTTOM

You don't want to go there...CDCosta was merely pointing out the oxymoron in your title. A film is either short length or feature length. Don't post anything if you're not willing to accept criticism.

I thought it was pretty well done. The camera work was good, although I'm not a fan of the hand-held look. I felt you could have shot a lot of this on sticks, and only used the steady-cam when he was running.

The story was pretty well written, and although I wasn't rivited by the story or acting, I felt it had emotion, and I formed a connection to that, whether it was slight or not, it was still a connection.

The music was good, and did a fair job of bringing you into the moment.

The VO was good also...although it had a bit of that, 'I'm so sad and emo' feel to it...which can get under my skin sometimes.

I wish the actor would have taken his glasses off early...it's like you were going for the troubled cool guy look...I personally didn't like that.

I felt like the cinematography was nice, and you can tell the camera op was experimenting with interesting angles and movements. I felt there were too many 'half framings' of blurred things that take up half the screen...yes this can be cool, but it looked a little forced, as if the DP was trying something new out. I got the impression that this was almost like an exercise...and not a film created for the art of it.

The color was nice also.

The last shot held too long, and although it did set a nice tone with the electic guitar (which I liked), it lingered too long. The last move made me think it was a symbolic journey of the dead girl to heaven...the shift to the blue sky, blurring out...maybe that was just a happy accident, maybe it was planned...but I would have liked to see a more interesting background if you were gonig to hold for that long on it...the background you used was boring, and held no depth or emotion. Perhaps credits could have been laid on top of that last shot? But then that would have ruined the stillness you were looking for...I don't know.

Good stuff. Nice work. Not my cup of tea, and I felt a little humdrum about it...but still nice short.

ps. And yes...it isn't a 'short feature'...it's a 'Short Film' all the way.

Cheers.

Thanks for the awesome comment, CDCosta.

Your welcome.

It was late and I didn't get to watch your film, but I just did and here's my thoughts:

-The first part of the film was framed wrong.
-The voice over was spoken pretty bad, with pretty bad dialouge.
(Sounded like he was reading it most of the time)
-Sound editing was not present as I heard the abient sound change in every shot.
-Lighting was absent, and I understand it was outdoors.
-Green screen was poor
-Camera work was aweful most of the time, and the subject wasn't framed right most of the time.
-Editing was medicore
-Random nudity?

I appreciate anyone starting out in film making and who will try to follow a structure. You just need work.

The music was well done for this short, I thought the V.O. was done well.

The overall film was way too dark, darker times of day should have maybe been avoided and up the brightness of the other bits?

Wasnt too keen on most of the film being filmed by hand, I think their should of been some tripod use in there, However it did work on a lot of the scenes when he was on the phone.

Overall story wasnt too interesting though, I must admit I was a little bored, but that could be that this just wasnt my cup of tea, so personal preference.

Best bit was the boobs!

oh boy.

You can't handle hard criticism, so I dare not comment on another thread of yours.

Maybe I was harsh, but I don't know if this is your first film or your 40th film.

The point is, no matter how much you like it, it needs a lot of work. And that's nothing to be ashamed of, we all started of making crappy films, you get better as you go.

But if you can't accept feedback, Don't post here, and don't bother making films cause even in Hollywood films are harshly criticized.

oh boy.

But if you can't accept feedback, Don't post here, and don't bother making films cause even in Hollywood films are harshly criticized.

I have found the criticism of my own shorts helpful, and to be true. This forum is full of people who know what they are talking about, the best thing I have done here is to listen to what others have to say.

You have to have real thick skin with any creation of film, music, art. Some will rip your work to bits on technical aspects and some will rip your work apart just because they don't get what you are trying to do.

There are faults in all films, you just have to learn from them for your next project.

CDCosta, I guess you could of elaborated on your points, but most were valid I thought.

To all who saw the film and replied: thank you for taking the time, and for the feedback! I will take it to heart for my next project. To CDCosta: It's not the hard criticism I can't handle, it's vague and negative remarks like "first part of the film was framed wrong".

But no matter. It seems my response to CDCosta was deleted by a moderator. Way to censor. I'm out of here.

-Iskar L.

Last edited:
Back