• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Second Trailer of An Hour Past Her Time

Constructive crit I hope:

First mistake is Jodie Foster is in Taxi Driver, not Taxi, that's a TV show. Major flub to have in the trailer for the person supposedly an agent.

Dialog is hard to hear. She makes a few sounds I can't tell what she's saying.

Is the title supposed to suggest an hour past her "prime?" The idiom using time is not correct but not sure if that is by design.

Constructive crit I hope:

First mistake is Jodie Foster is in Taxi Driver, not Taxi, that's a TV show. Major flub to have in the trailer for the person supposedly an agent.

Dialog is hard to hear. She makes a few sounds I can't tell what she's saying.

Is the title supposed to suggest an hour past her "prime?" The idiom using time is not correct but not sure if that is by design.
Damn, I screwed up on that Taxi line but I used Past instead of Pass purposely. So, it was by design. Constructive criticism sounds more like nitpicking but I do it too so ehh. I can hear the dialog clearly over the phone so i can't take that critique seriously. It's finished now.

but I used Past instead of Pass purposely. So, it was by design.

The question was about using "prime" instead of "time".

Constructive criticism sounds more like nitpicking but I do it too so ehh.

The devil is in the details.

I agree with indietalk: there's no clear grasp of the story here.

I can hear the dialog clearly over the phone so i can't take that critique seriously.

But you should. Listening over the phone is in no way a clear representation of what's going on here. Not by a long-shot. You're also deeply familiar with both the script and the recorded footage and sound, so you already know the lines.

Her dialog sounds way off-axis to me, like a camera mic (or a very poorly placed boomed mic). It makes her first two (very short) lines very hard to hear, or to discern. It took me several rewinds and replays to figure out that her first line is "nice office". Still not sure what she says on the second. "Madame"?

Unless you expect "over the phone" to be the only way people experience this short film, the sound needs attention.

Last edited:
The question was about using "prime" instead of "time".

The devil is in the details.

I agree with indietalk: there's no clear grasp of the story here.

But you should. Listening over the phone is in no way a clear representation of what's going on here. Not by a long-shot. You're also deeply familiar with both the script and the recorded footage and sound, so you already know the lines.

Her dialog sounds way off-axis to me, like a camera mic (or a very poorly placed boomed mic). It makes her first two (very short) lines very hard to hear, or to discern. It took me several rewinds and replays to figure out that her first line is "nice office". Still not sure what she says on the second. "Madame"?

Unless you expect "over the phone" to be the only way people experience this short film, the sound needs attention.

Hour correlates with time.

No grasp of the story. Fine! It's about getting the viewer to have interest in watching the film. A lot of trailers and advertisement do misdirection purposely.

The sound is not an issue. The DP didn't even usmia boom mic because of space constraints or a camera mic. The wireless body mics were used.

If you can hear the dialog clearly over a phone's speaker then i doubt there is a problem elsewhere.

I remember asking you all before so us how it suppose to be done. Still waiting vets. Not big on words. Visual learner. Im not a person ashamed of being wrong but i have to be proven wrong.

I can't prove you wrong - don't even want to. But I can't understand the
audio either. I did not try a phone but I did try using the audio set up
in my editing room.

It's difficult offering you any feedback. I always get the feeling you need
"proof" and that impressions are dismissed. But there is no "proof", there
is only the feeling I get watching your trailer. I didn't get a feel of what
your movie is about. And the non-linear misdirection didn't work for me.
I didn't even know it was purposeful non-linear misdirection until you
told us.

Watched several times.
Afraid I will have to join the chorus. Could not undersdand them, nothing there to make me want to see it (actually the bitchy girl bit makes me not want to see it) I know you had to be dropping the music down for the dialouge but it was not working for me. Would have been better to just leave the music at consistant volume and bring the dialoug up over the music, where we might could understand it.

Fact is everyone here is having the same problems with it except you so.................

I'm not a pro or a master, I thought you'd want to know I can't hear what the characters are saying. Guess you don't.

Best of luck.

What has been said above holds validity. It is difficult to hear what is being said. I was able to make out what was being said, I just had to strain a bit to hear it. You'll find the suggestion of raising the volume a worthy note. It is tough to tell what the story is about exactly, although the title cards do help. Often I'll go back and try to get to the bare bones of the story and find the simplest way of conveying that message. Even having character flat out saying their motivation at times. Trailers sell your film, therefore withholding too much information from those you are selling to can harm you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPSrXIz2I0

Wow, that's some good photography there, and well put together trailer. Very Hollywood-esqe.

Good examples of trailers! Hadn't seen that one.

What has been said above holds validity. It is difficult to hear what is being said. I was able to make out what was being said, I just had to strain a bit to hear it. You'll find the suggestion of raising the volume a worthy note. It is tough to tell what the story is about exactly, although the title cards do help. Often I'll go back and try to get to the bare bones of the story and find the simplest way of conveying that message. Even having character flat out saying their motivation at times. Trailers sell your film, therefore withholding too much information from those you are selling to can harm you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPSrXIz2I0
Thanks! Something useful and insightful and simply nitpicking.

Back