Screenwriting Software for Palm OS

I am working on a project with a software developer and wanted to get some feedback from the community.

We want to design a PalmOS-based screenwriting software. The idea is to create a simple program that would format your text in screenplay form on the screen of your Palm device and then either be saved on your Palm device, printed, or exported in RTF format (which could then be imported to Movie Magic or Final Draft).

By coupling this software with a PalmOS device (like a Tungsten, Sony Clie or a Treo) and a foldout keyboard, a writer could have a product that would allow him or her to work just about anywhere without worrying about lugging a laptop around.

Better yet, by running this software on an Alphasmart Dana (www.alphasmart.com), you could have a take-anywhere, nearly indestructible, light, instant-on, long battery life, dedicated screenwriting solution that's better than a laptop in many ways (though admittedly not all) for under $400.

Well, that's the dream, anyway. We still have to design the software. What I am trying to determine is:

1. Would anyone here use something like this?
2. If you did use something like this, what are the "must-have" features?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

First, I think that's a great idea!

cyan said:

A few ideas.

1. I think something you could possibly look into would be some sort of quick "note" system that could be imported into final draft and movie magic. I just think that if someone is carrying around their PDA and they get a idea, they could just write a quick note about their thought. Then later, then could import all their notes into a neat list in FD or MM to further flesh it out.

2. Maybe some sort of index card system where the user could "Mark" key scenes of their script then view them as virtual index cards. Then they could simply take their stylus pen and drag the cards in any order they please and rearrange their script. (I think Final Draft has an option like this already) But it would be cool for a writer to be able to organize a script when he's waiting on a bus, or waiting to collect unemployment or something.

3. The ability to share the script with others who may not have the software on their PDA. So if you're out and you run into X producer or director, then you could beam(since some PDAs can wirelessly send files) the script to the other person's PDA even if he doesn't have the script software. So he can view the script, but not edit it in any way unless he has the software.

I'd buy it if it were under, say, $20, but honestly, I don't write so often that I'd need to whip out my PDA to work on my screenplay. The only times I've done so were for little snippets of scenes here and there that I've been having trouble on, and in those cases, I just pasted the script into the Notepad and played with it whenever I had free time. No formatting, of course, but I wasn't very concerned about that.

I guess a great feature for me would be allowing for quick edits like that. I would like to just whip out my PDA and work on the screenplay. Perhaps a sync with a program on the computer, so I could work seamlessly between the two copies. I'm not interested in actually creating the screenplay or making large modifications on my PDA. The screen's too small for that. I'd rather just make tweaks, and if I could save a few extra steps along the way, I'd defintely pay for something like that.

Oh, and make sure the desktop application it syncs with works for Mac :)

Palm App

1. Would anyone here use something like this?

No. Palm screens are too small to really be of use in a format such as a screenplay or 2-column AV script.

A database that could keep a storyboard with panel illustrations and text description field for notes would be much more useful than a scriptwriting app.

You should have an import as well as an export feature. If I'm working on a screenplay in Final Draft, I'll want to be able to export from my computer to the palm to work on the go, and then back to FD.

I would use a program like that

I already use my palm to write when I'm on airplanes, using a fold-up keyboard. Of course, its not the most ideal method, but its a lot easier to pull out then my laptop, the battery last longer and I don't have to boot it up. I have a hard time imagining busting out a whole screen play on my palm, but I do write short scenes, dialog, outlines, treatments, notes, etc.

I imagine for it to be really useful, it would need to be able to export as a tagged file that I could import into Final Draft with formatting intact. I don't think it needs to be super powerful, just the basic styles (scene, action, dialog, parentheticals, etc.).

I think another use would be to have a copy of the screenplay with me on shoots that I could edit without my laptop, or point at an IR printer for a quick print, or email to a client on the spot from my palm.

I wouldn't make it a full featured program. Keep it simple and make sure it talks to Final Draft and Movie Magic. The cost would have to be kept under $30 for it to sell. I do agree with some folks that it's a tough to deal with the small screen. Maybe you could color code the elements or use different font styles for monochrome screen (italics for Action, bold for dialogue, underline for character names, etc...) The standard formating wouldn't show on screen, but you'd know what element was what.

Good luck.

Scott

Scott, thanks for the helpful advice. Our intention is not to replace any of the software out there for screenwriting on a PC. Our goal is to interface with it so that if someone is away from their desktop and wants to make some changes or doesn't want to lug around a laptop, they have an inexpensive solution.

One idea is to bundle it with the Alphasmart Dana (www.alphasmart.com). These are Palm OS devices that many novelists have taken to because they are sturdy, have great battery life, easy to view in almost any light and they don't weigh much. The perfect solution for someone who doesn't want to shell out $800+ for a laptop (or already has a laptop and doesn't want to work with it on the beach).

I don't work for the company I just know that when I was getting started, I had a desktop but not a laptop. Something like this would have freed me up to write during my bus commute or away from my office and then sync back up with my home PC.

Indie,

The developer I've been working with got busy with the holidays. I am hoping that he'll be able to get back to it soon. I will definitely update you when I have anything. Thanks for your interest!

I have been searching for just such a program!. I agree with other posters that it needs to be able to talk to Movie magic and Final Draft. - Otherwise , it just adds steaps. There are many times I have used the keyboard and Memo pad to writer stuff up thhat I had to reformat later. It was great for getting thins down , but IT wou,d be even better to be able to just sync a script back and forth and work on it whereevver! I hope this happens soon!

Well, I am sad to say that this project has died on the vine. After working for several months on a very simple but promising prototype, the programmer decided that he did not have the level of interest to continue the project. I don't have the programming skills to pursue this, unfortunately.

Another inexpensive option is to develop a macro for the openoffice word processor. I am surprised that we as a community (struggling filmmakers) haven't embraced open source more enthusiastically.

Anyway, I am sorry to report that this project has not come to fruition. If anyone is interested in taking it up again, I would be happy to participate.

cyan

I'm sure lots of tech heads would like it. But.. for me, I often just bring a notepad to lunch and write scenes/dialog in shorthand, then type them up in Final Draft later. When away from my desk I usually want to take a break from the computer and be in an organic/brainstorming mode. Also, even if I wrote w/ a notepad app in Palm or something else, it's pretty easy to copy/paste the work into FD - reformatting text pasted in from word, email, notepad, etc. only takes 45sec or so per page.

Back