Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
GerryLovesU
Basic Member

What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Name the latest film you watched, or re-watched and give it a rating. A 1-10 scale seems about right. Feel free to use letter grades if you must.

Share your thoughts!
GerryLovesU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

We're always wary of 1st-time posters here, but okay, I'll bite. Heck, I'll give you the last 5 I've seen.

"Faster" C
"127 Hours" B+
"Buried" B-
"I Love You, Phillip Morris" A-
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" B
Cracker Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
FrankLad
Basic - Premiere Expired

Arsenic and Old Lace - 6/10

(Probably my least-favorite Frank Capra film, but still enjoyable.)
FrankLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
LessThanThreeLeo
Basic Member

Oldboy - 10/10
LessThanThreeLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Gonzo_Entertainment
Basic - Premiere Expired

Behind Convent Walls (1977), Nunsploitation at it's best! 7/10

The day I can find an actress willing to explicitly use a hand carved wooden dildo with a picture of Jesus painted on the bottom on screen I'm casting her in every film I ever make.

Last edited by Gonzo_Entertainment; 11-29-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Gonzo_Entertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
IndieBudget
Basic Member

Gonzo... you have a filthy mind...so do I .. I last watched School of the Holy Beast - 6 of 10 .. nothing like nekkid nuns being whipped and Lesbo Nun action .. Yumm Yumm

before that I watched And God Created Woman 8 of 10
IndieBudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Semiazas
Basic Member

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part I.
I'd probably give it 8/10. I loved it, definetly the best so far in the franchise.
Semiazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Flicker Pictures
Basic - Premiere Expired

Last night. "Netherbeast Incorporated" via streaming on Netflix. Absolutely terrible. 1/10 only because it had Judd Nelson and Dave Foley. Just awful filmmaking. Yes. I get that it was low budget, but seriously... if you're aiming for a COMEDY make me laugh. Don't spend the entire film explaining why we're supposed to be laughing.
Flicker Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
polfilmblog
Basic Member

The Other Guys (8/10)
Very funny, very stupid, some blatant wrongness, but a bit too mush what was expected.

Inception (9/10)
Leaving the theater, thinking on the last shot of the film, we began the whole 'what the hell did we just watch" discussion. Was the whole thing in DiCaprio's mind or what? Does Nolan hate us? Does this mean Inception 2?

Despicable Me (9/10)
What can you say, I'm a sucker for animated wackiness (was this Pixar?) The kids were so cute, and the alternative reality so much fun...

Unstoppable (4/10)
Unwatchable? No. It was watchable, only why? Why did they waste 2 hours of my life on this tacked on melodrama bullshit story? Annoying visuals to boot, and really little more than an incident. Not a fully fleshed out story.

Lord of the Rings - Fellowship (10/10)
I can't believe some people dis this trilogy.

Khadak (7/10)
Mongolian Shaman film, very experimental modern Chinese thingy. A bit slow and the ending wasn't right. Still, some absolutely stunning cinematography.
polfilmblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Gonzo_Entertainment
Basic - Premiere Expired

I left the theatre after watching Inception wishing there was some way I could back the two hours of my life they just stole so I could do something more pleasant and productive with it like cut myself over and over with a razor
Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

Just rewatched Zombieland on Sky Anytime... It's a pretty decent movie with a great cast, so no particular complaints from me...
NickClapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
LastChancey
Basic Member

Location: In and around Los Angeles, Germany, Kenya, Sudan, Congo, and Uganda...
Gladiator - 6/10

Went back after five or six years expecting to be amazed and impressed all over again (not to mention wanting to gain back all the respect I lost for Ridley Scott after Robin Hood, that terrible mess), but was surprised at how drab it was, graphically speaking. Dull palette colors, cheeky zooms (a R.S. trademark, I know... but, Christ, just completely out of place), disappointing special effects and a story more closely resembling an outline than a plotline.

Inception - 8/10

Saw it in theaters while vacationing in London last year, but had far too much beer in my system to properly follow the mazelike plot that first time... however, on second (sober) viewing, it makes a great deal more sense. Sterile, cold cinematography from Nolan, with intentionally jumpy storytelling and actors that seemed to have been coaxed into delivering their lines as quickly and hyperintelligently as possible. I was only perturbed by Nolan's portrayal of Mombasa, since I live in Kenya myself and found the decision to shoot in Tangiers a weak one, although excellent set dressing made up for that moment of scoffing almost immediately. Fucking brilliant score.

The Prestige - 9/10

On a Nolan binge at the moment. Found this earlier film to be more artistic and satisfying upon multiple viewings. The skillful layering of narrative-within-narratives creates a unique viewing experience, and the decision to shoot a Victorian period piece in a predominantly handheld style struck me as brilliant and cool. Better than Inception, only because the plot relies more heavily on plot and performance than on special effects and setpiece.
LastChancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Gonzo_Entertainment
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieBudget View Post
Gonzo... you have a filthy mind...so do I .. I last watched School of the Holy Beast - 6 of 10 .. nothing like nekkid nuns being whipped and Lesbo Nun action .. Yumm Yumm

before that I watched And God Created Woman 8 of 10
Good one, it's been several years since I watched And God Created Woman. I need to see it again. I wonder if the current DVD release (Criterion perhaps) is the orginal cut, or the one they had to edit for US censors as most of the prints were.

I think tonight is Opening Night, I'm trying to see alll the Cassavetes films.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
wheatgrinder
Basic - Premiere Expired

Tangled (9/10)
Deathly Hollows Part 1 (7/10)
wheatgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Beatlesfan1225
Basic - Premiere Expired

Last seen in theaters- Deathly Hallows Part 1 Rating 5/10. I thought it was weak and lacking, and a lot of crap could have been cut out to allow one film instead of two... look at the last Lord of the Rings.. Return of the King could easily be a two part deal but they put it into one 3 hour film and it worked out well... they didn't screw around... if you REALLY want the story you watch the extended cut.
Beatlesfan1225 is offline   Reply With Quote