[Feb 19] What are you working on this week?

Shooting for a corporate video tomorrow.
Shooting a short promo thursday.
Hopefully shooting for another project on friday.
And editing and preparing stuff.

Just like for the book trailers, I put together a media folder to create an extended version of I, Creator 2 -- Goddess Of the Hunt. The problem I am faced with is the original raw footage requires a A/V driver for the audio to work from a third party company that may no longer be in business. My work-around is to use avi and Mpeg files for early edits with audio and the video from the raw footage to make the new extended cut that will be greater than 30 minutes.

Here is a re-worked clip originally made for IMDB in 2012 touched up with Magix Vegas Pro 15 and HitFilm Pro with a worked in 3D rocket model. I expect to spend more time with it in the future. The new footage in the extended cut of the film will help to bring viewers more into this strange alien world.

https://vimeo.com/256270761

Last edited:
We got the cover on Cinefex, and last week won a VES Award for best animated character.
Cinefex.jpg

We try to do at least one "no budget wonder" per year. We are currently casting in Florida for "CAUSE OF DEATH: HOMICIDE", a 30-minute drama. It will be shot entirely in our house, on an old Panasonic HVX-200A. Budget is about $2500. We will start filming on March 17th for three weekends. Actors will be paid $75 a day, plus we give them lunch, IMDB credit, a DVD of the finished film, and we upload a clip of their best scene to youtube for them to use for promotional purposes. CAUSE OF DEATH: HOMICIDE will go to Amazon Prime, and to Createspace DVD. (We'll make six bucks a month if we're lucky "smile"). We plan on having a great time and the actors will have a thrill of their lifetime. By the way, if you live in Florida and would like to audition, we'd love to hear from you.

WalterB, it's more of the type of camera that was used that requires the special audio decoder software. It also came with it's own HD video drivers that installed into the computer's operating system. I need to spend time to look up the manufacturer to do an Internet search for compatible drivers. It was for an old Panasonic Professional HD camera from 10 years ago. As good as that camera was back then, a modern DSLR can give it a run for the money these days.

Glad to hear you had a productive day shooting.

Wish I had time to go out and just shoot with my camera. I am being pulled from all directions for my time from doctors to dentists to stuff to do for work and elsewhere taking up my time. I really like what my Canon 60D can do with the lens set that I have. Good thing about the 60D, both my iMac and HP Omen need nothing special to use its footage straight from the memory cards.

I also picked up tonight 5 3D models of cool looking spaceships to replace the aweful looking spaceship footage in the first version of I, Creator 2 -- Goddess of the Hunt as well as a couple of inexpensive 3D file viewers to view the models from all angles and a 3D painter program. With HitFilm Pro I just have to go to composite editing and import a 3D model media and the file preview in a 360 degree slow spin around to view the file as well. Big improvement over my old rig that's still in my home studio.

WalterB, it's more of the type of camera that was used that requires the special audio decoder software. It also came with it's own HD video drivers that installed into the computer's operating system. I need to spend time to look up the manufacturer to do an Internet search for compatible drivers. It was for an old Panasonic Professional HD camera from 10 years ago. As good as that camera was back then, a modern DSLR can give it a run for the money these days.

You dodged the question without realising it ;)
A type of camera gives a certain codec. In the end the file does not remember the camera, but it's codec :P
Codecs that required drivers in the past can be codecs that are supported natively by a lot of software today.
You might be able to convert the old footage to PreRes of DNxHD with software like PavTube.
(It is not free, but I sometimes use it when clients send me odd codecs or insanely large uncompressed screenrecordings.)

You dodged the question without realising it ;)
A type of camera gives a certain codec. In the end the file does not remember the camera, but it's codec :P
Codecs that required drivers in the past can be codecs that are supported natively by a lot of software today.
You might be able to convert the old footage to PreRes of DNxHD with software like PavTube.
(It is not free, but I sometimes use it when clients send me odd codecs or insanely large uncompressed screenrecordings.)

Thanks for the 411. I was thinking of looking up the old email from the DP who gave me a link to the website to buy the software drivers for the footage to try to see if the manufacturer still makes the software for that camera to get for my new computer. Your suggestion is a plan b.

I cannot remember the model or the codic of his camera from ten years ago with looking it up.

Last edited:
I think you are overcomplicating it.
Looking up the codec = hooking up the harddrive.

Plan A should be checking whether your software can use it natively now. (That is free.)

You are probably talking about drivers to support the Panasonic cameras using P2 cards creating mxf files with DVCPro codec. Yeah, there was no native support for it 10 years ago.
Magix X is said to support it nowadays.
And the drivers probably won't run smoothly, unless they kept updating them in the past 10 years.

Then plan B should be comparing a converter with the driver (Raylight or Raylight Ultra?) and see what delivers the best value for money.

Raylight Ultra has not been update in 8 years.

Last edited:
It may be raylight.

I know the audio in the raw files don't play when moved away to another computer because Raylight or something else was installed on the one computer where it works fine. I am spending whatever free time I have gathering 3D models for the revised version of the film. I haven't spent any time looking up the driver. But, Raylight sounds familiar.

Turns out it is RayLightUltra I was using. I got a free upgrade by DVFilm for my new computer. Audio work fine viewing files with Microsoft Windows Media Player. Thank you, WalterB for your help.

Filming a scene on Saturday and Sunday for my film 'Overcloud.'
Making a feature film is incredibly hard mentally I am realising. It's funny how all my actors keep talking about how fun everything is, and I'm trying to remember what scene we are on to write on the audio file when recording external.

Back