Next audio step up...

So I have a nice little audio setup with a Fostex FR2-le, a DR100 as backup in case of issues, a Promix 3, ECM 674 which I was really surprised by plus the usual boom, softie etc...

What is the next step up in terms of audio gear? My gut reaction is to upgrade the premix which isn't particularly effective with the FR2-le.

What are your thoughts?

A mixer is one good option. Another is considering picking up a Lav microphone/Wireless Lav setup if you don't already have one.

Depending on what microphones you already have, perhaps a Microphone to attach to your stick.

A mixer is one good option.

He already has a mixer, the ProMix3.

You may want to consider a hypercardioid for indoors. The Avantone CK-1 is nice for the price. The Audix SCX1/HC and the Audio Technica AT4053b are good if you have the funds.

If you decide to go for wireless lavs don't cheap out; don't get anything less than the Sennheiser G3s. You'll need at least two, so a minimum of $1,400+. Also, most PSMs replace the lavs with CountryMan B3 or B6, Sanken COS-11D or Tram TR-50. I've heard good things about the Oscar Tech lavs, but haven't any personal experience with them.

You may also want to consider getting some additional cables, nice cases, battery packs, chargers, a better boom-pole and/or other accessories to tighten things up. Maybe some headphone distribution and another set or two of cans (headphones) for the director or whomever.

He already has a mixer, the ProMix3.

You may want to consider a hypercardioid for indoors. The Avantone CK-1 is nice for the price. The Audix SCX1/HC and the Audio Technica AT4053b are good if you have the funds.

If you decide to go for wireless lavs don't cheap out; don't get anything less than the Sennheiser G3s. You'll need at least two, so a minimum of $1,400+. Also, most PSMs replace the lavs with CountryMan B3 or B6, Sanken COS-11D or Tram TR-50. I've heard good things about the Oscar Tech lavs, but haven't any personal experience with them.

You may also want to consider getting some additional cables, nice cases, battery packs, chargers, a better boom-pole and/or other accessories to tighten things up. Maybe some headphone distribution and another set or two of cans (headphones) for the director or whomever.

On the last shoot, for indoors, I brought as many people, blankets etc... as humanly possible. It looked ridiculous but it worked. One guy brought a duvet because he didn't have a blanket...???

Looks like I need to consider a recordist and will think about this next year. Forgot to mention I have some additional battery packs, chargers, extra headphones (can't call them cans just yet...) and more XLRs than you could shake a stick at.

Need to see how far I can go.

Well, then you can invest in sound blankets & C-stands....

acoustic%20sound%20blankets%20vb-70gs-1000%20500x447.jpg

And get the hypercardioid anyway....

Back