• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about focus pulling.

A lot of lenses for DSLRs, have the focus ring, right the end. This makes it difficult to hook a follow focus onto it, even if it's a custom DIY one you try to make for that purpose. It is also difficult to try to pull focus with your fingers, cause the shadows of the fingers, tend to be seen in the image. I can try to be careful, or light differently, but the lighting has to be specific ways as it is. And as much as I try not to get shadow into the image, I have to concentrate on the actor's performances while shooting, and will not always catch the shadow until later.

Is their a way to use these lenses with a follow focus, or by hand? There are lenses where the focus ring is further back, that makes it a lot easier, but these lenses have no image stabilization where as the ones with the focus ring in the front, do.

Last edited:
I've only ever seen the focus ring right at the front on the cheapest modern lenses (Canon's 18-55mm kit lens and 50mm f/1.8 spring to mind).

If it's really that much of a problem, try adding a lens hood to give your fingers something to rest on. Alternatively, use a screw-in filter step-up ring to stop your hand slipping into shot.

There are plenty of lenses with image stabilisation that do not have focus rings right at the front of the lens.

Okay thanks. Unfortunately some of the lenses I bought have the ring near the rear, however, there is no IS. Is there a way I can shoot without IS, and make the footage usable, when it comes to steadicam, or shoulder cam shots? If IS is that important I could sell the lenses and rebuy if I have to, but is there a better way?

Back