movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Celda 211 - 8/10 - another pretty good take on prison movies. well paced, and while predictable in some parts, still kept me interested

The Mechanic- 7/10
This was actually pretty decent. I walked in expecting another "filler" Statham action flick but the plot delivered and the action scenes were spectacular.

Amores Perros- 9/10
Still one of the most impacting and emotionally complete films ever made. Not to mention the beautifully ugly street cinematography.

Adaptation- 10/10
Amazingly original, profound and clever. Cage and Streep at their best here.

Barry Lyndon- 10/10
If I could even come to close to half the brilliance displayed here, I'd die a happy man.

The Dictator - 5/10 : A hodgepodge of somewhat funny (alternating with cringeworthy) gags loosley tacked onto a role-reversal story. Best parts already in the trailer. Daniel Tosh's heckler should probably avoid this one.

Snow White & the Huntsman - 3/10 : Incredible sets & art dept; that's about it. Director was awol. Trailer was great, though. If you must have some modern Snow White, Mirror Mirror kicked this one's butt.

1984 (B/W 1954 Peter Cushing & Donald Pleasence) - 7/10 : Minimalist sets. Supposedly broadcast live by the BBC, but buggered if I know how an almost 2-hour long production is done like that. I suppose the exterior scenes are a mix of pre-recorded video & a soundstage exterior set. Pretty cool. :cool:

Thrive - 1/10 : Mystical pseudo-science, complete with paranoid revisionist history. If you like Zeitgeist, you'll dig this. Good luck with that perpetual motion machinery!

In Time -3/10 Every now and then I get hooked by the premise of a film, and then it turns out to be awful... that helps remind me that premises are NOT what makes a movie good. I just wish Hollywood understood that. This movie could've been better if the message revolved around not wasting ones life. Those with time are rich, those without time are poor. It's a simplistic analogy. The cinematography is beautiful, which I shouldn't have noticed, but due to the lack of decent acting and writing, i had to find ONE redeemable quality to it... Timeberlake and the leading lady have no chemistry either

The Dark Knight Rises is all about the emotional arc of Bruce Wayne, not just in the context of this movie, but for the entire trilogy. In that respect, this movie worked really well for me. I ain't gonna lie -- I cried. Twice. I give it a solid "A". :)

EDIT: Hey Ang, just noticed your review. How great was Catwoman? Both the character, and Hathaway's performance -- I loved it. Alfred, as well. Cane was perfect.

Last edited:
Sorry to ruin the sequence of TDKR reviews with my review of a particular horrible film...

Howard the Duck

It's NOT so bad it's good. It's so bad that it's drek. It's so bad that I feel like if certain actors and actresses didn't have roles to follow this already, it would've killed their career. It's so bad that I feel it comes from the same dimension that Jar Jar and the Crystal Skull reside.

Bad film, as most of you already know.

And...you want me to rate this? I give it a 2/20. And one and a half of those points are for sympathy.

If you want to watch a "so bad it's good" movie, I suggest you look in the way of Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space, or Halloween 3: Season of the Witch, and avoid George Lucas' first of many falls from glory.

The Dark Knight Rises is all about the emotional arc of Bruce Wayne, not just in the context of this movie, but for the entire trilogy. In that respect, this movie worked really well for me. I ain't gonna lie -- I cried. Twice. I give it a solid "A". :)

EDIT: Hey Ang, just noticed your review. How great was Catwoman? Both the character, and Hathaway's performance -- I loved it. Alfred, as well. Cane was perfect.

I love you Joseph. She was amazing. <3

Strangely...

Beautiful Boy - 5/10
The shaky docu-cam was a bit much.
The story... somewhat sensible, but an unremarkable portrayal of any one of a thousand stories that would result if any one of us were faced with the same tragic situation.
This story is just how this couple handled it.
Okay. Yeah.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - 8/10
Really funny.
I don't care for Will Farrell films. Just watched this to see Leslie Bibb. (Yeah, I'm bad.)
Pleasantly surprised. Humorously ridiculous, especially if you don't have any love for the NASCAR curcuit.

The Dark Knight Rises - that was just okay. I don't really get the love for the series. I can't take the lisp voice box thing seriously, you have 3 hours and two previous movies and have to exposition dump, awkward dialogue, and a many convenient occurrences to setup the story.

It was an okay action flick, nothing more.

Recently watched CLOVERFIELD. I would give it 4/10.

Based on some unexplained beast crushing Manhattan and apparently filmed on a handcam. It took a while to get going so I skipped through the initial dialogue scenes until the action started. The shaky cam really put me off. I know its meant to evoke an air of realism but just made me feel physically ill by then end. (Yes I get motion sickness). The more I watch "found footage films" the less interested I am in them as a genre.

I also saw NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN. I give it 6.5/10. Its an Australian movie. Its the story of a 20 something guy who finds out he had testicular cancer and his efforts to suddenly become a father in the three weeks before his surgery. He gets the diagnosis very early in the film before you even really know who he is, making it hard to care. Reflects badly on the 20 something generation as they come across as pretty superficial but with some character depth at the end.

The Dark Knight Rises - that was just okay. I don't really get the love for the series. I can't take the lisp voice box thing seriously, you have 3 hours and two previous movies and have to exposition dump, awkward dialogue, and a many convenient occurrences to setup the story.

It was an okay action flick, nothing more.

I am wondering if you and I walked into a different movie as every one else. I feel the same way you do. I was let down with the movie in multiple ways.

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me - 6/10 - not too bad of a film

The Descendants - 9/10 - Great film that dealt with some very difficult issues. Very well done

Food, Inc. - 5/10 - meh, reminded me of a long commercial for organic, local farmers

Sin Nombre - 7.5/10 - not too shabby actually surprised me

Tell No One - 8.5/10 - very well written screenplay and good film overall

I am wondering if you and I walked into a different movie as every one else. I feel the same way you do. I was let down with the movie in multiple ways.

I want to be clear that I liked the movie and was entertained. I just don't get the claims that it is a masterpiece or whatever. Or that they reimagined the batman universe in a unique way. I think the Keaton movies really showed a tragic hero pretty well, but one that was at least likeable.

The story was no less clumsy than Prometheus, but for some reason it is given a pass.

Again, not mad that I spent money on it or anything but I don't know if I would intentionally watch it again. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10 of this year so far.

should i even see the new batman? I'm on the fence about it. I thought the last two were dreadful, aside from a certain, deceased actor's scenes in the second one... but Bane looks awesome in the trailer

should i even see the new batman? I'm on the fence about it. I thought the last two were dreadful, aside from a certain, deceased actor's scenes in the second one... but Bane looks awesome in the trailer

If you didn't like the previous two, you probably won't like this one. Bane is pretty awesome, and I did like it, but again, I liked the other two. Maybe wait until it comes out on dvd, or catch a cheap show? It is a pretty long movie though, and if you're not into it, the home version might be a little better of an experience for you!

I just don't get the claims that it is a masterpiece or whatever. Or that they reimagined the batman universe in a unique way. I think the Keaton movies really showed a tragic hero pretty well, but one that was at least likeable.

I agree 100% about that--Burton's FIRST film is probably superior to both as a superhero film. I'm a huge fan of crime movies, which is why I love TDK. As for the its predecessor...not redeeming. I was wondering what sort of gas they put in the theaters to get people to like it.:lol:

Back