Making a film proposal/business plan

I want to make an enticing film proposal/business plan(I'm sure we all would like to). However I don't know where to start. So far I know to put in relevant info, such as budget, a break down of budget, similar films and their track record and the commercial potential of this film, production plan(what I intend to do), marketing and distribution plan(how i intend to get it released). What else should I put in?

Should it be slightly fancy visually or more on the minimalist side?

Something else is I don't know which way would be best to present it. At the moment I assume like a normal business plan in a plastic sheet folder. Tips?

And can someone explain the summary/cliff notes.

If someone can break down a generic business plan that'd be great or if anyone can give tips on their experiences. Thanks a lot.

Your budgeting analysis should be extremely detailed, down to the last minute stupid detail - equipment rentals, transportation, media, personnel, insurance, permits, legal fees, feeding the cast and crew, accommodations, props, disposables, etc.; and don't forget about post - editing, color correction, CGI, audio post (including Foley), etc. If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting outdoors what possible cost over-runs there may be due to weather, and your alternative planning for coverage. There are dozens more items I can't think of off the top of my head, and it's not my bailywick anyway.

Part of any business proposal is defending the expanses; for example - a professional production sound crew (PSM and boom-op) could be as high as $600 per day, but correcting bad production sound could cost a great deal more.

Don't reference specific films, but point out the percentage of the overall film market your genre attracts.

Back