Casting Director Advice Please

Hi guys,

I've inadvertently ended up with the task of Casting Director in a short film. It's far from my area of knowledge and as such, I'm finding myself attempting to tread water. I was hoping if anyone have any tips, suggestions and/or pitfalls to avoid, suggested reading material, links to threads, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

The subject has been discussed several times on this site. Just do a search.

Hi Morris, I did a search and found nothing useful on the topic. You may assume that I'm looking for the dull boring questions of where to advertise to get cast. I'm not in that position. While my database is relatively small at a few hundred people, on top of that and other sources, it's more than enough access cast talent.

I'm at the point in casting process where I have more than enough people applying for each role, I've been able to gauge their talent levels, about to short list the actors. I'd prefer not to make too many errors that could have been avoided by asking others who are experienced in the area.

If you know of suitable threads, I'm all ears.

What I'm really after is any advice from others who have gone through the role on the pitfalls to avoid and any tips to make the best decisions.

I left the question rather open as I didn't want to pre-frame people's advice, suggestions and so forth, as I'm sure there are topics in Casting Directing that I've never considered.

If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. If not, thanks for reading anyway.

Make sure that the actor can take direction - even if you like the way that they did it the first time, tell them something different to do and be sure that they can.

If you are casting a romantic couple, try several different combos to see who looms and works best together.

If you're casting a family , be sure to look at all of the head shots together to be sure that they're believable as people who are related .

Make sure that the actors are actually available for the shoot dates and can/will make a firm commitment

Back