• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Should I be directing if I want to write scripts?

I know most of you will answer yes, because I should see how things work from the directing perspective.
Well, I did. I directed 2 shorts and a shooting day at an independent feature film.

So, as I said, I want to write scripts. Directing is great, too, but there are so many things to worry about... especially when it's YOU who pay for everything.

Yes, of course it's way easier to be hired to direct. You don't care whose money you spend, you don't care how much things cost. All you do is... directing the film! That's awesome! I did it once, directing a shooting day for a feature film. But, to do that as an actual job, you've got to spend SOO much money...

Another issue is after you do a short film, you get in such a debt, that you can't go searching for a job in the industry, you take any job, because you need it NOW. And that is the endless loop.

Anyway, do I really need to direct a film and get into Cannes or any major festival? Because it seems like it's the only way to become a screenwriter. It seems kinda unfair that I need to become a director in order to work as a screenwriter... Especially when writing and directing requires different sets of skills.

What are your thoughts about that?

In this case, it might be worth it to get your hands dirty on the first one, and hire later. :)

The reason so many filmmakers there do more than one thing could be because like you said, they don't have much money for film. So the more each person can do, the less they have to spend.
You don't have to do everything all the time but having the experience of doing other things can actually help your writing, just like having the experience of writing, acting, etc. can help a director. It just depends what you want to focus on but having experience in the other areas, as well as life, can help your work.

It's not always money. Sometimes it's fear of relinquishing control and delegating. I've seen many a director DP simply because of fear of not trusting a DP to convey their vision, etc. There's also those that think doing it all looks better in credits. Many reasons.

I've found that a lot of directors start writing simply because they want something to direct, and no one will hire them (often because they don't have any credits yet). As a screenwriter myself, I think it's better to look for a director who's eager to work, even for little or no money. That way you both get some credits of produced work as well as experience.

Being a producer and director guarantees it gets made.
If you're just a writer then there is no guarantee.

Guarantee-470x275.png

There's also nothing stopping you!

Thank you guys for the advice.
And yes, sometimes I AM afraid to delegate tasks AND vision, because sometimes I give too much freedom and see what they do, and I be like "WTF man"... But that's actually MY fault because I find it difficult to find the right people and share my vision with them. It's a skill I lack of - I know what I want but I can't explain myself. That's why I prefer writing :)

And yes, sometimes I AM afraid to delegate tasks AND vision, because sometimes I give too much freedom and see what they do, and I be like "WTF man"... But that's actually MY fault because I find it difficult to find the right people and share my vision with them.

That's the directors #1 job, to communicate clearly and succinctly the specifics of your vision.

Choosing the "right" people is tough when your selection is limited. Perhaps you should think about expanding your network. Maybe work as a PA or some other "menial" job on low/no/mini/micro budget projects to expand your network.

Back