"Buy Out" rights and disclosure

Hi all,
I have recently used a voice over, purchased from speedyspots.com for a commercial. It is 100% "Buy Out" speedyspots retains NO rights to the work.

When I sell the commercial do I treat "buy out" work as if it is 100% my creation, or do I always include the buyout information with any transfer of the rights?

Thanks

It's their fault if they don't otherwise specify and the artist is an idiot to not have it posted if he wants residuals, etc.

I'd e-mail the website to see if there is fine print (read: no print) that you should be worried about,

Otherwise, save an archived copy of the site you bought it from with that 100% notice and sell away.

That is HOW speedyspots does it, they sent ME the 100% buy out notice. Which I have to admit is ANOTHER reason why speedyspots.com rocks.

Here is the notice..

To whom it may concern,

Speedy Spots, Inc. grants Dan Scott of Wheatgrinder the absolute right and permission to use and reproduce all voiceovers provided by Speedy Spots and all reproductions thereof for an unlimited duration and in any markets or for any other lawful purposes whatsoever.

Sincerely,

So in your view, I don't need to bother disclosing that it's a buyout, its just my work?

To me it seems like 100% buy out means it's 100%, yours. But one line of disclosure regarding this buyout, in your contract, shouldn't be too much copy for a legal exchange. Maybe, for a nominal fee, you can contact a lawyer online just to be sure, but honestly, sounds like you have it free and clear without the need for attribution.

I have recently used a voice over, purchased from speedyspots.com for a commercial
Whoever purchases it from you is the so-called "moving party" who either asks or doesn't ask for the chain of title information. If they don't ask for it then you don't need to provide it. As long as you KNOW for yourself that you own it then you're not fraudulently representing in this secondary contract that you own 100% of it. Usually in a contract it is worded such that you represent to the buyer that you own it.

A friend of mine uses StockMusic.net a fair bit, and they explicitly mention that the songwriter needs attribution if it's in a movie.

So if you have the permissions already, and didn't require attribution, you should be good to go.

Of course, I am not a lawyer etc...

Somewhere in the Phillipines, or perhaps Indonesia, or probably India, some local actor, who has a really nice radio voice, and who happens to be able to match an American accent spot-on, and who knows how to record a voiceover, is thinking to himself, "Man, that guy wheatgrinder sure is an idiot for paying me 5,000,000 (insert local money) to do a voiceover that took me about 15-minutes to record and send to him."

$25 is a fair price. If it wasn't, this website wouldn't exist.

Back