• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about adding motion blur in Premiere Pro.

For a promotional video project, I was hired to do, I had to shoot a lot of scenes of building construction, outside, Since the construction was moving very fast, and it was unscripted or anything, I didn't have time to put ND filters on the camera lens, and take them off, every time from quickly moving from interior to exterior, and vice versa.

Closing the aperture and shooting on the lowest gain was not enough, to take down the sun exposure, so I had to increase the shutter speed quite high for some of the shots. There is no motion blur in the shots, and I would like to make it look like it was shot at 1/50 around, to match the rest of the footage, and look more cinematic.

I watched some tutorials on how to do this Premiere Pro, and they said that in order to add motion blur I have to increase the "shutter angle", as it's called. But when I do that, nothing happens, and it still all looks the same. Am I doing something wrong, is there a factor that the tutorials do not cover, that comes into play?

LOL!
You are trying to apply an effect that is meant to be used on a moving animated layer.
Your video does not move. Nor can the edges be seen.
The effect does NOT add motion blur to moving pixels inside a layer. In other words: it doesn't fix your footage.

Don't try to fix this: you can't unless you work years on it and the buildings built will have collapsed before that. (And it will still look fake and stupid.)
Or try ghosting, which will still look fake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGgEIjk8MkU

If it were this easy to fix, nobody would use NDs.
It is as it is.
You burnt your ass, now sit on the blisters hoping that nobody notices.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I didn't try that ghosting method, cause I new ghosting wouldn't work. Here is the method I tried:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0LvU2x3_w&t=88s

and this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9HBRMdquM

So if I am shooting a live event and I don't have time to switch ND filters, cause it's live, what course of action should I take then? Should I shoot with the shutter speed at 1/50, even if it is overexposed, with the aperture closed and at the lowest gain? Like for example, how does the media do it, when having to capture live footage in the field, really fast, going from interior to exterior?

Last edited:
You knew ghosting wouldn't work, but you didn't notice that the first tutorial is about a round shape with the shape's edges in frame and that the object was being moved and that that is how the motion blur is added. (And not to movement inside the object.)
And why not do the second method?
I think that is the only option you've got. (A trick I didn't know yet.)
And it is in After Effects.
Did you just find this 2nd tutorial?

A lesson for the future: don't mess up your shutterspeed.
(This is one of the reasons pro's don't like DSLRs for run and gun work. Build in NDs can't be beaten.)
Now you think you can fix it, but no client will ever pay you for fixing your own mistakes.

Okay thanks. I wouldn't charge the client for it, I would just fix it myself in after effects. But next time I can get a different camera then. The high shutter speed just gives some of the footage a Saving Private Ryan style look, so maybe I can make it look stylistic in the end product.

Back