Which NLE should i use?

I'm really confused as to what non linear video editor to use. I am a seasoned animator and VFX artist and presently use Premiere CS6 for final editing of my projects but i am not happy with it. I know Premiere very well so i don't think my problems are related to my knowledge of the application. I just find that it renders slowly but more importantly it does not handle changes in FPS or downscaling in a manner that is acceptable. For example if i try to downscale 4k footage to 1080 in Premiere i get tons of artifacting.

Anyway, i joined this forum in hopes of finding out what the pros are using. I have read that a lot of people use Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve seems to be all the rave (yet its still kinda beta, so i've read). The other options are Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer.

Please note that i make a living off of my film and need the very best. I would love to know what you guys are using and what the best of the best are using. I really appreciate your time.

i joined this forum in hopes of finding out what the pros are using.

#1 Avid
#2 Premiere Pro
#3 FCP

Avid is still the dominant editing program used by pros due to its stability and its strength in allowing multiple users to work properly on the same project.

I would love to know what you guys are using and what the best of the best are using.

I mostly use Premiere. It does change depending on the needs of the project and what each individual workplace is using.

What he / she said ^^^^^ (are you a chap or chapess, Sweetie?)

Personally, my decision was based on:

Avid: Lots of money
Premiere Pro: Medium money
FCP X: A lot less money because I am Mac-based. So it does everything I want for less money than anything else.

Pros / Cons from a functionality perspective.

Avid: Industry standard for feature films but beginning to have some issues.
Premiere Pro: Crashes a bit (read the forums) but better for VFX so probably better for you.
FCPX: Cheap, quick and easy. The standard NLE for the BBC so professional enough. Lacks a little functionality around VFX and annoyingly, sound.

There are other NLEs out there like DaVinci etc... but I agree with Sweetie that the 3 main ones are above.

Back