How come they don't make cameras with replaceable sensors?

Basically before digital came along, when it came to film cameras, the cameras were capable of taking different kinds of film. You can put in film with a low ISO, a high ISO, and things like that.

However, if want a sensor with a high ISO, like that in the A7s camera, you have to buy the whole camera, and not just the sensor only. Why is it that unlike old film cameras, you cannot choose the ISO quality by taking out a sensor and putting in another one, and instead have to purchase a whole camera?

To start, the camera can adjust ISO and picture profile on the fly. That's analagous to changing film stock. So, you purchase the camera that offers the best performance and features for what you need.

This fixation on lowlight performance is such a crock, anyway. Cameras want light, no matter what. Lighting a scene is still the only way truly to get exactly what you want in exposure, contrast, shadow. Film stock exists above 1600, but 400 and 800 are the bread and butter and 1600 comes in for specialty shots. So why the hell do we want to crank cameras up to 409,600?!

A swappable sensor also seems rather impractical to me. Sensors are pretty delicate, and dust and fingerprints will wreck the image. Making the sensor interchangeable means exposing it to unnecessary abuse. I can't imagine the chips would survive long in the wild.

RED and if I'm not mistaken Black Magic Designs URSA line of camera's do have sensors that can be updated by 'swapping'. There is or was an open source RAW camera in the making where the sensor is indeed an exchangable part.
However, we are talking of a whole different price range here (and BMD isn't great at low iso).

Besides that: sensors need to be able to communicate with the rest of the camera. Every brand has its own system.

Stop worrying about this and make a choice.
Fantasing about this possibility is no valid excuse for further procrastination :P
(Everyone else is working with the same constraints.)

To start, the camera can adjust ISO and picture profile on the fly. That's analagous to changing film stock. So, you purchase the camera that offers the best performance and features for what you need.

This fixation on lowlight performance is such a crock, anyway. Cameras want light, no matter what. Lighting a scene is still the only way truly to get exactly what you want in exposure, contrast, shadow.
Very true.

Film stock exists above 1600, but 400 and 800 are the bread and butter and 1600 comes in for specialty shots. So why the hell do we want to crank cameras up to 409,600?!
Comparing what is possible now with what was possible before is no valid argument ;)
Those high ISOs can serve wildlife filmers. But they can also bring power consumption for lights down. Most of all: closing down iris a bit in darkshots gives you control over DOF (and focus), while it used to be all about fast lenses with open iris. (Although you don't need ISO 409,600 for that. That can overexpose cloudy nightskies :P
I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any cops with A7s yet: it is seeing in the dark with color :) )

A swappable sensor also seems rather impractical to me. Sensors are pretty delicate, and dust and fingerprints will wreck the image. Making the sensor interchangeable means exposing it to unnecessary abuse. I can't imagine the chips would survive long in the wild.

This is why RED swaps the upgrades themselves.

Comparing what is possible now with what was possible before is no valid argument ;)

Just following the logic of the original question... but there's also the idea that "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Those high ISOs can serve wildlife filmers.

There are always exceptions.

But they can also bring power consumption for lights down.

So can switching to LED, which is now coming into its own as a viable lighting source.

Most of all: closing down iris a bit in darkshots gives you control over DOF (and focus), while it used to be all about fast lenses with open iris. (Although you don't need ISO 409,600 for that. That can overexpose cloudy nightskies :P

Again, aside from exceptions such as wildlife night shots, there's no substitute for intentional lighting to suit the desired ISO, aperture, and frame rate.

This is why RED swaps the upgrades themselves.

I intentionally left out the fact that the manufacturers can do this. I don't consider factory mods to be "swappable" in terms of Ryan's question, which seemed to be more about being able to buy a selection of sensors much as one has a selection of lenses.

Just following the logic of the original question... but there's also the idea that "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Also very true. Somewhere in between there is an equilibrium between progress and necessity.

I intentionally left out the fact that the manufacturers can do this. I don't consider factory mods to be "swappable" in terms of Ryan's question, which seemed to be more about being able to buy a selection of sensors much as one has a selection of lenses.

I mentioned it just in case he thought he invented something new :P

But seriously, when we are not talking about 409600 ISO, but usable 25600 or 51200 ISO: there are many not really exceptional uses for it. Slowmotion at high framerates, deeper focus than 1 inch, shooting the nightsky without 1 minute exposures.
Many events are indoors and are often poorly lit, so if you shoot events instead of cinema... (blablabla ;) )

Long story short:
@H44:
You can't because it is a bad idea.

Those high ISOs can serve wildlife filmers. But they can also bring power consumption for lights down. Most of all: closing down iris a bit in darkshots gives you control over DOF (and focus), while it used to be all about fast lenses with open iris. (Although you don't need ISO 409,600 for that. That can overexpose cloudy nightskies :P
I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any cops with A7s yet: it is seeing in the dark with color :) )

Exactly. There was a time when film stocks with ASAs of 200 were new. I'm sure there were plenty of people at the time wondering what on earth you would need 200 speed film stock for?!

Better high ISO performance means you can get away with less lights, smaller lights, lower powered lights etc. Means less heat and sweat for the set itself.

Imagine a scene where you need a large light to act as a moonlight, for example. The difference between shooting at 200 and 1600 ISO can mean the difference between a 12k HMI and the generator/power distro to run that, versus running a 4k HMI. Now, there are plenty of reasons why you should go for the 12k anyway (or a different setup altogether), but the point remains that cleaner ISOs aren't necessarily a bad thing, and can co-exist with lighting your scenes appropriately and effectively.

As for interchangeable sensors - for the most part, the delicate electronics surrounding the sensor and the sensor itself all contribute to making the image look the way it does.
Not only that, sensors are sensitive pieces of electronics, which is why sensor upgrades are usually done by manufacturers in dust-free rooms and qualified technicians. Film is easy because it's purely and entirely mechanical, and the 'sensor' is each frame of film.

The vaporware Craft camera has, in a sense, an interchangeable video element - although that's more of a modular design than an interchangeable sensor in reality.

Look at it this way - when you can use all the same accessories on different RED cameras, they essentially have interchangeable sensors - it's just their 'sensor' module is what they call the brain.

Aaton tried to do an 'interchangeable sensor' with their Penelope Delta, where in theory you could swap between a digital back and a film back. It didn't eventuate - I think the realities of attempting to do so prove to be technically very difficult, increases the price of the camera to a point where it would struggle to stay competitive and turn a profit, and eats into profit margins on potential future cameras.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Basically I want to shoot some scenes at night that take place on the street. I want it from the point of view of people looking at some activity that is happening on the street, but I cannot afford to light the entire street from the characters point of view.

So I thought that a really high ISO like that of the A7s, would be good for serving that purpose.

Okay thanks. Basically I want to shoot some scenes at night that take place on the street. I want it from the point of view of people looking at some activity that is happening on the street, but I cannot afford to light the entire street from the characters point of view.

So I thought that a really high ISO like that of the A7s, would be good for serving that purpose.

Rent it.

What script are you shooting now? Or are you putting the cart miles before the horse? If you have a night scene, your DP should be skilled enough to capture this for you, without you having to make roundabout posts about sensors. If YOU are the DP, then you can always hire a skilled DP just for that scene, or rent the lights, camera, or many other ways. But are we answering again and you have no real plans to actually use this information?

I'm getting concerned a lot of time is being wasted by posts like this. A lot of people offer their knowledge but you never seem to apply it, you just like to ask these types of questions. And this one wasn't even about sensors, it was about lighting a scene.

I'm getting concerned a lot of time is being wasted by posts like this. A lot of people offer their knowledge but you never seem to apply it, you just like to ask these types of questions. And this one wasn't even about sensors, it was about lighting a scene.

I've said it before but filmmaking is all about compromise. You can sit online and lament some piece of technology or equipment that doesn't exist that would make it slightly easier for you to achieve what you want on a slightly smaller budget, or you can write around it/find a way to do it and actually you know... go out and make some movies...

I've said it before but filmmaking is all about compromise. You can sit online and lament some piece of technology or equipment that doesn't exist that would make it slightly easier for you to achieve what you want on a slightly smaller budget, or you can write around it/find a way to do it and actually you know... go out and make some movies...

+13254742341463767451341416767

Stop pondering, start making.

Back