Made a $2000 feature film, just put it out for free!

Hey all! Last summer, I made a film with some friends for fun. We used a Canon T2i, a steadycam, DIY Dolly, Rode videomic and tripod. We aren't film students, but we love doing this for fun. The film is about a guy named Denis , a slightly deadbeat guy in his early 20s, wants to propose to his girlfriend of four years in order to show her he's serious about their relationship, but things go wrong when the priceless engagement ring his grandmother gives to him is stolen and he and his stoner friends must get it back. The film blends both bollywood and hollywood elements!

Here is the film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKZ1nva6vA

yeah put it out for free, you should be desperate for 5 views let alone 5 cents

What's the point of this post? I'm sure the OP understands how difficult it is to sell a film, doesn't stop it being an impressive feat in putting one together, or a generous one in deciding to release it for free.

I haven't watched it but I had a flick through and it looks like a nice quality production. I like the cinematography, especially given it's DSLR, and I think it can find an audience.

OP, would you please provide a budget breakdown of the actual money spent + include an estimate of the value of donated services.

Thank you!

What's the point of this post?

I haven't watched it

It looks like you answered your own question.

All of us are lucky to get views. I wouldn't expect anyone to put 10 cents toward anything I've done so far unfortunately. People just don't pay for content like that on the internet.

You need a cool trailer and a name actor, an extremely sexy lady, or insane special effects to draw people in. Even then you'll get views but probably not $ online.

Edit: I'm curious what his thumbnail is for the video, posting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKZ1nva6vA

Hmm.. not a boring picture, but it doesn't compel me to click on it either. That dude in the background looks out of place.

Last edited:
This looks pretty good for the small budget you had! I've been down this same road and have just completed a feature film for just under five figures! It is not easy but there are ways to sell your feature without a big star in your film! Make a good trailer, put it all over facebook, twitter, and have an IMDb for it! If it is good enough someone will be interested in distributing it. My first distribution offer came before I even made my film. A company just loved my script. Don't be afraid to send some companies your script. That was also how I got the funds to make my film as well!

Back