Audio equipment question

Hello guys.

I want to buy some audio equipment for indie filmmaking but i dont have much to spend, about $500/600.

With that budget what do you guys think about a zoom h1 with a rode videomic pro?

Thank you.

Groan... Here we go again...

Okay, I'm not a fan of Zoom gear. I recommend Tascam (DR-05, DR-07mkII, DR-40) or Roland (R-05) in that price range. The Rode VMP is an acceptable consumer grade mic. The big issue is that you'll need a whole bunch of accessories like headphones (Sony MDR-7506 - $100), a boom-pole, wind protection, cabling.

A few warnings... The boom-pole with most Rode kits is only 6' 9" (206cm) - rather short for real usage; I recommend a minimum of 10' (304cm) to 12' (365cm). Being Hi-Z (high impedance) makes consumer audio gear susceptible to RF (Radio Frequency) and EM (Electro-Magnetic) interference.

The biggest obstacle to solid production sound is the person "swinging" the boom; the closer in and more accurately the mic is aimed the better your production sound will be. You also need to control the noise in the environment as best as you can.

As always, I recommend (if possible) finding someone who knows something about production sound. It will be a much better investment than buying a whole bunch of gear you'll use only two or three times a year because your sound will be much better than anything you could get with you or whichever friend or PA you have swinging the boom.

Alcove Audio, first of all thank you for your fast reply.

I guess you've already answered this question too many times so i'm sorry and i really appreciate your patience and the time you take to write such a helpful post.

You wise words are always welcome and i'll definitely follow your advice and go for a Tascam DR-07mkII insted Zoom.

Yes i understand that i'll need acessories (those Sony headphones, boom pole, wind protection, rode vc1 cable) but i'm willing to do a little effort to spend more if necessary. Unfortunately i dont have much to spend but i want to have the best i can with the money i have.

Yes, i have a friend of mine who worked as boomer for TV and can help me with that.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the material. Nowdays he doesn't even work in that area, is a graphic designer now.

He bought the material when he finished the audio school but he sold it a few years ago.

Gonzo_Entertainment i dont want do neglect the audio and that's why i spent about $600 in camera and lens and i can push it to $700 to spend in the audio.

I'm far, far away to be an audio expert but i guess that not being perfect, a Tascam DR-07mkII and a Rode Videomic Pro can do a fine job.

Thank you

Back