Recording Audio in Master Shot

For my short film, I have a couple of wide shots acting as a master for some dialogue scenes. So my question is, how would I go about recording the dialogue for these shots? Adding to the challenge, I don't have any lavalier mics, only a shotgun which makes this a lot harder :hmm: Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this task? Or should I not try to record in the master but rather the close-ups,medium shots, etc.?

You have someone swinging a boom (if that's possible, the shot could be too wide for that). Even if you wind up using the dialogue from the closeups it's still nice to have dialogue for the master. You might be able to use wild sounds from between the lines, you just never know.

Gonzo pretty much covered it.

You capture the audio as best as you can in the master shots. No matter what you need it for sync purposes.

"Hiding" the boom-op or using a plant mic is a possible alternative. You then can use dialog from the alternative/unused takes. Since master shots are usually fairly wide the sync does not have to be absolutely perfect, just very close.

How wide are we talking here and how much movement is going on? Like Alcve said, the easiest way is to use your enviromental surroundings to hide your mic, whether it be plants, bags, tables, chairs, etc., just so as long as you get that audio. You'll never know if a clip is useable or not until you start editing. ADR can always be done afterwards or just grabbing the audio from other shots.

Back