Class Reunion

hey guys I have been trying to rack my brain to come up with some ideas for a documentary. I am primarily a narative storyteller, but have a few oppurtunities to get some TV time if I do something with a more friendly audience appeal.
I just found out that I have a 10 year class reunion coming up. As I thought a few years ago that I definately didnt want to go to somehting like that. Most people I talk to aren't that interested to going to theirs as well. I was thinking this subject may make an interesting topic. I am not sure where to focus though. Whether to play it as why people do not like them? Who are the kind of people that do go? Why do poeple end up going to their reunions? etc.
I was figuring it would involve talking with the people coordinating the event, maybe get some pre event footage, interveiwing classmates there, and something to wrap it up.. not sure of what yet..

What do you guys think? Granted any topic could be shown interestingly if done correctly. But do you think it would be a good thing to do?

Alden

The real question is... Do YOU think it's a good topic.. whether or not we agree is really unimportant. If you like the topic, and are passionate about making the documentary, it will be an interesting piece to watch, and that desire to make the film will show through. Thereby making it enjoyable for everyone, even people who initially may not think it's a good topic.

For the record though, I say go for it. ;)

OK, sorry I will reword my question... Would you find it interesting to watch? What would you expect to see in a film like that?

Think of a way to give it a unique twist.

documentary.. not that I can recall.. though there have been a couple features that used the topic, and wasn't there a really bad reality show about class reunions on a couple years ago?

just make sure you get your specific characters to focus on -
the clever kid who was destined to be great, but became some kind of 'what-if' historian (my biggest nightmare career)
the girl who was very pretty but looks faded
the former bully now a monk or democrat
the transexual
etc etc
those who have changed at some point between then and now,
someone who has issues about going (1st love will be there, feeling of failure)
someone with whom we can enter this world and thus feel an attachment to,
and when they grow, we do

Nique Zoolio said:

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking of some themes to run on.. maybe the "measurement/definition" of success? i have a few others to run as well. Also, my best friend is the guy that would rather as he puts it, "Take a scorching mallet to his <private parts> than go to the reunion." So if i could get him as a character, that would be great..especially if I could get him to go/

definitely. get him to go. did he have an old flame there? why won't he go back?
if he refuses to answer such questions, kidnap him and take him to the beach.

If you CAN get him to go.. you should have him hobbling around, to signify that you had to actually hit him with that scorching mallet to get him in the car. ;)

Nique Zoolio said:
the clever kid who was destined to be great, but became some kind of 'what-if' historian (my biggest nightmare career)
the girl who was very pretty but looks faded
the former bully now a monk or democrat
the transexual
etc etc
those who have changed at some point between then and now,
someone who has issues about going (1st love will be there, feeling of failure)
someone with whom we can enter this world and thus feel an attachment to,
and when they grow, we do

...okay, now I am confused. Is it a documentary or a narrative? Characters imply narrative.

....Maybe you could sit down and figure out why you thought it might be a good idea. What questions do you have. Write it all down and see if you have the skeleton of an idea and then flesh it out. I've never seen or heard of this subject being done, but if you take some interesting angles, I bet it could work. I saw a documentary on Hamburgers about a month ago, how they were made, what makes a certain burger so great (one was deep fried in 30 year old cooking oil, one had peanut butter on it, eewww, one was made famous by the 'cheeseborger-cheeseborger' skit on Saturday Night Live)

what you have to do is find the interesting angle, then you will probably be off and running...

--spinner :cool:

Yearbook

Monkeyshine said:
hey guys I have been trying to rack my brain to come up with some ideas for a documentary. I am primarily a narative storyteller, but have a few oppurtunities to get some TV time if I do something with a more friendly audience appeal.
I just found out that I have a 10 year class reunion coming up. As I thought a few years ago that I definately didnt want to go to somehting like that. Most people I talk to aren't that interested to going to theirs as well. I was thinking this subject may make an interesting topic. I am not sure where to focus though. Whether to play it as why people do not like them? Who are the kind of people that do go? Why do poeple end up going to their reunions? etc.
I was figuring it would involve talking with the people coordinating the event, maybe get some pre event footage, interveiwing classmates there, and something to wrap it up.. not sure of what yet..

What do you guys think? Granted any topic could be shown interestingly if done correctly. But do you think it would be a good thing to do?

Alden
I think it could be clever to take the actual yearbook to the reunion and ask people to sign it... And, while signing it, let them know what the general population thought of them back in high school... Then ask them what it was like to be...

the hottest girl
the hottest guy
the nerd
the slut
the smartest
the dumbest
etc. etc. etc.

The problem of course would be in approaching these people and getting them to cooperate upong hearing the truth or I guess I should say, the rumors about them...

I'd definitely watch something like this IF we could see the look on these people's faces when confronted... Might be too difficult to pull off in that way and off the top of my head, a little invading.

But could be cool.

Like in the film, BEAUTIFUL GIRLS... The hot cheerleader chick goes to her reunion and this overweight guy says something like, "If you don't mind me sayin' you were mean as a snake."

I loved it. The look on her face was perfect because it was obvious she had never known ANYONE thought of her that way... Either that or she never cared before...

Good luck with it...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back