• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'm writing my senior short film and i need help to make the idea better

Hello, so I'm writing a script for my senior short film, I have the idea, but I think the idea itself needs work before I even move to the script phase:
Synopsis:

Charles, a mid 40s photographer with an unknown past, works at HOURGLASS PHOTOGRAPHY, the mysterious agency that sends him on tasks to photograph people who are destined to die soon. He develops these pictures, but in a special way: they transform into something beautiful, a memory, a wish, anything that would make the person concerned with these photographs happy before they leave this world. His job gives him sleepless nights, but is life changing to those around him.

The movie starts with Charles, a mid 40s photographer, staring at an old lady in the park, who is playing with her grandchildren. He carries a postcard that has her name, address and time. He approaches her, calls her name, introduces himself as a photographer hired to take pictures of her. She seems surprised, as she did not hire anyone. He takes pictures of her nonetheless, without seeking her approval and goes away rapidly. At home, he develops these pictures. However, his pictures develop differently. The old woman became a young lady carrying a child in the photos he developed. The next day, he receives a postcard, similar to the one he had in the beginning, with a photo of an hourglass on the back, written under it: HOURGLASS PHOTOGRAPHY. On the front, the name of the woman, and the address of her house. He takes the photos (2 of them), keeps one in a closet in his studio as an archive, and puts another inside an envelope. He drives to the address, puts the photograph in her mailbox and goes to a cafe. He goes to that cafe everyday. On the second day, he opens the obituaries and sees her name, while not being surprised. He looks to his left and sees a fine looking woman to whom he smiles. The days pass, he receives another postcard leading him to a man named Nicholas, at a florist. He goes to meet him, but discovers he is with that same fine woman that he usually sees in the cafe. He snaps some pictures without Nicholas's consent, and is chased by him until he finds his car. He develops the pictures, and never goes to that cafe again. Days have passed, Charles decides to go to the cafe. He sits there, but the fine woman finds him through the window from the outside and enters the cafe and confronts him. She reveals the photo of Nicholas, and she tells him that this was the most amazing photograph he has ever seen. She declares that Nicholas is now dead, to which Charles replies that he knows. When asked if he was happy, Charles replied yes, when asked who is he, Charles replies: I'm the photographer. When asked what is he, Charles asks: What do you want to see before you die? it's random you know, when your time is up, but not everyone gets to see themselves in that way. As he is about to leave, he witnesses something magical: His reflection on her eyes, and in it he appears happy and young. He stays for more time, and stares in tear at this magical reflection. He thanks the woman and leaves. Outside the shop, another photographer snaps a photo of him and tells him he will receive it soon, to which Charles replies: No need, before venturing away on the street.

Had to explain what's on my mind, so what do you think? anything that doesn't click? cause that's how I feel.

Last edited:
It sounds amazing, I love it. What a great concept and super intriguing. You have a great twist at the end, don't change that. Depending on what you have available, actors and locations may have to change, but the concept is great, I think.

Let me break this up into digestible blocks for you first, then I'll read it.

The movie starts with Charles, a mid 40s photographer, staring at an old lady in the park, who is playing with her grandchildren. He carries a postcard that has her name, address and time. He approaches her, calls her name, introduces himself as a photographer hired to take pictures of her. She seems surprised, as she did not hire anyone. He takes pictures of her nonetheless, without seeking her approval and goes away rapidly.

At home, he develops these pictures. However, his pictures develop differently. The old woman became a young lady carrying a child in the photos he developed. The next day, he receives a postcard, similar to the one he had in the beginning, with a photo of an hourglass on the back, written under it: HOURGLASS PHOTOGRAPHY. On the front, the name of the woman, and the address of her house. He takes the photos (2 of them), keeps one in a closet in his studio as an archive, and puts another inside an envelope. He drives to the address, puts the photograph in her mailbox and goes to a cafe.

He goes to that cafe everyday. On the second day, he opens the obituaries and sees her name, while not being surprised. He looks to his left and sees a fine looking woman to whom he smiles. The days pass, he receives another postcard leading him to a man named Nicholas, at a florist. He goes to meet him, but discovers he is with that same fine woman that he usually sees in the cafe. He snaps some pictures without Nicholas's consent, and is chased by him until he finds his car. He develops the pictures, and never goes to that cafe again.

Days have passed, Charles decides to go to the cafe. He sits there, but the fine woman finds him through the window from the outside and enters the cafe and confronts him. She reveals the photo of Nicholas, and she tells him that this was the most amazing photograph he has ever seen. She declares that Nicholas is now dead, to which Charles replies that he knows. When asked if he was happy, Charles replied yes, when asked who is he, Charles replies: I'm the photographer. When asked what is he, Charles asks: What do you want to see before you die?

it's random you know, when your time is up, but not everyone gets to see themselves in that way. As he is about to leave, he witnesses something magical: His reflection on her eyes, and in it he appears happy and young. He stays for more time, and stares in tear at this magical reflection. He thanks the woman and leaves. Outside the shop, another photographer snaps a photo of him and tells him he will receive it soon, to which Charles replies: No need, before venturing away on the street.

I have to be honest, I don't really follow what's going on 100%. Where did the first photograph come from, and if it has an address (and time?) how does he end up in a park? I think he takes pictures of people, then develops them as the people would like to be, or once were in their happiest of times? But why? What's his motivation for doing this?

Who is the woman in the café?

You need to work on your clarity / brevity in writing. You say he never goes to the café again, then the next line, he returns to the café ?

And you have this kind of redundancy ...

At home, he develops these pictures. However, his pictures develop differently. The old woman became a young lady carrying a child in the photos he developed.

If you write like this in the script, it will be a tough read for all invollved, and probably add a page or two of superfluous words.

Try along these lines ...

He develops the pictures. However, the old woman is now young lady carrying a child.

Compare to ...

At home, he develops these pictures. However, his pictures develop differently. The old woman became a young lady carrying a child in the photos he developed.

26 words down to 15 to say the same thing. This matters in screenwriting. A lot.

I think you have a good idea going, but it needs some clarity to develop motivation.

As always, my opinion.

I am available (free) if you need script help and feedback.

alex

PS
I see you are from Beirut. I worked on a short there through the LAS. Any relation?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, I did not start formatting the script like I should do, still working on the idea itself, but you really helped clarifying some things.

And yes! I worked on a short video for the LAS when we lit up the tourist attractions in Lebanon. I don't know if you happen to remember a name, but do you know Maria Boustany?

This was a few years ago. I don't know Maria. Saw her FB profile - I think. I'll PM you the name.

Grabs from the film ...

kara-19.jpg

kara-2.png

kara-7.jpg

kara-25.jpg

kara-26.jpg

Anyways, this project was really enjoyable to work on. Let your classmates know - Maria included - that I am avail to help out with your scripts.

alex

Last edited:
Back