• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Review my screenplay

INT. WOODS.

Why are the woods an interior?

"not too far from the outskirts of the city" you can write this but how is this known
by the viewer of the movie? What is in the shot that shows these woods are not
too far from the city?

"She shortly wakes up."
You should write in present tense. How long is "shortly"? You use this adverb
often in your screenplay. And what is on screen that lets the viewer know she
is trapped?

"He is fat with his face hidden. After she sees his hideous face she screams."
How about building some tension here. As a reader this is uninteresting.
Show your talent as a writer and write what happens. How does he reveal his
face to her?

"A host of sharp instruments is placed on a table next to the bed."
"is placed" indicates action: An ax is placed on the table. You mean has been
placed or lays on a table.

"Rex holds the corpse of the girl over his shoulder as he walks. Her body is brutalized with bruises and open wounds. She is dead."
Yep, a corpse is dead. You do not need to tell us that.

I couldn't read any further. Too many mistakes and unclear writing. You
set a nice scene (very cliche, but a good horror movie opening) but your
writing makes reading difficult.

It didn't make sense to make the woods exterior either.

I use shortly meaning shortly after what had happened before. No, I did not specify a time frame there.

There was no tension at all for that one because the girl sees his face but not the viewers. So we don't know what his face looks like. All we know is that she is scared after looking at it.

I agree, bad wording.

A corpse can be an alive body. :/

A corpse can be an alive body. :/

While you are technically correct, that definition of corpse is cited by Merriam-Webster as archaic:

Definition of corpse
1 archaic : a human or animal body whether living or dead
2 a : a dead body especially of a human being
b : the remains of something discarded or defunct
"the corpses of rusting cars"

And by dictionary.com as obsolete:

noun
1. a dead body, usually of a human being.
2. something no longer useful or viable:
rusting corpses of old cars.
3. Obsolete. a human or animal body, whether alive or dead.

Again, this is sloppy writing. As is this:

Then get a place out of the city then, shit.

"Then" shouldn't appear twice. And when you have a command, a comma, and a noun, that assumes the noun is where the command is directed (such as. "Get over here, Bob."). So is she calling her friend "shit"? Otherwise, "shit" is an exclamation and is its own sentence. The line should read:

"Then get a place out of the city. Shit!"

And this line (can't believe I'm quoting this one):

When last did you get some dick?

That is not conversational English. And your writing has too much obsession with repeating the word "dick". Instead:

"When's the last time you got laid?"

Last edited:
"Then get a place out of the city then, shit."

if that's dialogue then it's not bad writing, it's how the character talks.

I disagree.

The way how people talk most times is contrary to standard English. It's just the way how dialogue works. It's not an essay.

No, it's not an essay. And yes, spoken English (vernacular or conversational) does differ from proper, written English.

Your job as a writer, however, is to communicate the dialog to the actor. Proper placement of commas (and use of them to begin with) is part of that. They communicate pauses in speech patterns. They demonstrate the relationship of one word or clause to another. The same goes for other punctuation: it impacts how we read, and in turn how your actors deliver, the dialog.

The dialog must also be communicated to the actor so that it can be clearly communicated to the audience.

"When's the last time you got laid?" is vernacular English, "when's" being used to contract "when" and "is". That isn't something that adheres closely to the rules of proper grammar and syntax, but it does reflect conversational English and still keeps the idea clearly communicable.

It can get more complicated if you're trying to write for a specific dialect, using thickly-accented idioms. English with influences of Creole, Gullah, even some of the isolated Appalachian dialects are all examples of places where writing can get tricky. Punctuation still applies as a guide for reading and delivery.

I post screenplays to get constructive criticism.

I wasn't being sarcastic. :/ I legit said thanks for the lecture because I learn from you guys. Your criticisms motivate me to get better. I understand that typing has no emotions so you wouldn't know my mood when I typed it.

I figured you were being real. However "advice" would have sounded less sarcastic, so it was taken as sarcastic, since it wasn't actually a lecture. ;)

being lectured has a negative connotation in america

we associate it with our parents when we did something wrong as a kid - then the adults would lecture us.

I wasn't being sarcastic. :/ I legit said thanks for the lecture because I learn from you guys.
Then I take it back. Your word usage is unusual in both your
screenplays and your posts. sfoster is correct, the way you used
"lecture" came across as different than you meant it. In American
idiom that word often has a negative connotation.

Back