FS7, used. What do you think?

Just toying with this idea...

What do y'all think of the FS7? I like its image quality, 4k, upgradability to RAW at some point in the future and that it sits between the C100 and C300. Has artifacting in low light but then again, what doesn't at this price point?

What do you think?

For the right price, it's a great camera - but unless you're in a hurry, you might want to wait for URSA Mini to start shipping before you decide. No need for an "upgrade" to RAW with the Mini.

You may also want to wait to see what Sony announces at IBC in a few days.

I'm thinking that prices of the FS7 will plummet. It's broadcast quality, upgradable to RAW, gives almost RAW image levels with a prores codec, can take any lens (have Samyangs, a Nikon, a Sony e-mount etc...) and am in no hurry.

May not even get it!

Not sure the used price on it you're looking at, but I feel you may be able to find another, more worthwhile camera. But maybe I'm wrong. There just seems to be a lot of great things on the horizon.

The FS7's a pretty good camera - but if you're in no hurry then there's no reason not to wait it out a bit and see what happens. You never know what IBC and NAB announcements will mean for current cameras.

The new Sony FS5 looks pretty good for indies at $5599 US (just $100 more than the 1080p Canon C100 Mark II).

The FS5's UHD is only 4:2:0, but HD is 4:2:2. There is an upgrade path to full 4K and external RAW recording. I really like the 8 second 1080/240p slow motion burst mode and the relatively inexpensive SD card storage.

A very interesting camera.

It looks good but ironically, I need 'on the shoulder' capability. Realistically, this will mean buying some rails, FF etc... which will take the price up to the same level and beyond a used FS7 in the UK!

im just in the process of applying for some grants for my production package and our DP did some camera comparisons for what we would buy. we decided the blackmagic URSA was the best bang in that price range. 4.6k out of the box, RAW with 15 stops etc. made it better than the FS7 for less (when factoring in all the shit youll need to buy for the FS7)

im just in the process of applying for some grants for my production package and our DP did some camera comparisons for what we would buy. we decided the blackmagic URSA was the best bang in that price range. 4.6k out of the box, RAW with 15 stops etc. made it better than the FS7 for less (when factoring in all the shit youll need to buy for the FS7)

Hope he factored in HDD space and additional accessories, as it ends up costing more in the long run than the FS7! unless of course you already own the additional needs.

Indeed: the URSA askes more from the postproduction.

+ the fact that the URSA weighs 16lbs.
It looks like it's built like a tank and it has the weight of one as well ;)

Back