• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A Weird Idea That I Think Might Work

sounds cool to me. harry potter had the pensieve.

If you read the opening, maybe you can get an idea of the tone I'm going for. It isn't a straight up comedy, with intentionally funny situations. What I'm going for is character driven comedy, or milking the funny out of normal situations. With the introduction of a recording device, some characters will be acting different because of that. I also plan on having talking head segments.

I fear this single angle from the mysterious device shot by an amateur would make the movie unwatchable. Mocumentaries like The Office and Modern Family go for the professional doc crew feel, which is easy watching and similar to narrative shooting until a whip pan to catch action or someone talks to the camera to reel you back into doc mode. But very watchable and not hard on the eyes. I can't see how the POV from one device held by a non-professional works...

How about a modern Don Quixote type thing? So cameras exist because it is modern times. But the main character is delusional and thinks he is a knight and cars are dragons. Or something. Have a doc crew follow him.

That, or only use your device for certain angles/scenes only. Shoot is as a movie with POV footage that is obvious by the camera movement/grain etc. You could do some of the funny interview segments with it like when they sit and talk to the camera in the moc-doc TV shows.

I fear this single angle from the mysterious device shot by an amateur would make the movie unwatchable. Mocumentaries like The Office and Modern Family go for the professional doc crew feel, which is easy watching and similar to narrative shooting until a whip pan to catch action or someone talks to the camera to reel you back into doc mode. But very watchable and not hard on the eyes. I can't see how the POV from one device held by a non-professional works...

How about a modern Don Quixote type thing? So cameras exist because it is modern times. But the main character is delusional and thinks he is a knight and cars are dragons. Or something. Have a doc crew follow him.

I see what you're saying, but for the sake of the show it would be filmed in a professional way. I wouldn't have the POV some shaky cam nonsense like Blair Witch or anything. It would LOOK good, if anything.

I actually did think about something along the lines of what you're saying, but ultimately decided against it.

I'm replying to your follow up post here...I agree with what you're saying. It would be closer to Parks and Rec rather than the office. In Parks, there was no reason for the camera crew and no reason for the characters to be interacting with them.

Sounds good good luck! I'd watch it.

Thanks. I need to start crafting characters. This opening was just to put to paper how the camera thing was found and how the POV would work. Besides these two, I need to introduce their father, who would be a king or equivalent depending on the scale I want to take this. I also need to avoid any and all terminology from Game of Thrones, besides the obvious stuff.

The Man Who Shot Don Quichot premiered today in Cannes after 28 years in the making. :P

A medieval mockumentary would be a 600 feet wide tapestry with ridiculous adventures ;)
Or a bard song.

Back