How to tell your director to slow down

I am the marketing director/graphic designer for a studio. The owner of the studio/director/writer often juggles multiple projects at one time and writes and films on short schedules often taking shortcuts to get there. I feel this can often affect the final quality of the films.

My question for you guys is how would you approach him and suggest him to focus on one or two projects at a time and spend as much time on a project is needed? He stays moving constantly and doesn't like to wait on anything. Would love some advice as I often see the threads of movies that could have been so much better with just a little more patience.

Thanks

If he is the owner not much you can say.

He is the owner, but I have some sway over decisions and he listens to my advice. I've been working with him for over three years and have been friends for almost five. I just don't know the best way to have him understand the reason behind why he should slow down without making it sound like the films are bad. As the films are overall good films and great ideas they are just missing the extra layer of polish they need.

I just don't know the best way to have him understand

The best way to have someone the reason behind your opinion is to
tell him straight.

“I've noticed that the projects aren't up to your usual standards. From my perspective it seems you're often taking shortcuts to meet deadlines and spreading your focus over too many projects. This affects the quality of the films. I think you should slow down a little and focus on one or two projects at a time and take as much time as is needed to get that extra layer of polish we are known for."

Then ask him what you can do so he can focus on one or two projects
at a time. Of better yet, make an offer you know will help. I can't make
any suggestions there because YOU know what needs to be done better
than I.

Don't tell him what you think he needs to do, tell him what YOU need. Then it's ok to suggest ways to accomplish it.

Back