Movie software

Any program that I can use to put everything together as far as script, scenes, budget, scheduling? If there is any, how much is it?

Thanks.

Adobe CC does a fair amount of development and pre-pro work. You can go for the free version or get more features for a cheap price each month. There's also scenechronize, which I believe is free unless you're collaborating with someone.

Celtx is an awesome pre-production script writing software, which I believe has additional planning tools built into it... I actually think the company has a number of production softwares.

For script writing check out Celtx, like others have mentioned.

For breakdowns and scheduling I find the software available to be prohibitively expensive and, indeed, clunky and hard to use. They are also really not suited for low-budget independent films, especially not shorts.

I prefer to do it the old fashioned way using a combination of pencil, paper, microsoft word and excel.

There are some resources up on my website (free) if you'd like to give 'em a try :)
www.SatyricaFilms.com

Adobe CC does a fair amount of development and pre-pro work. You can go for the free version or get more features for a cheap price each month. There's also scenechronize, which I believe is free unless you're collaborating with someone.

I've never heard of adobe products for pre-production. Out of curiosity, which program and what tools does it offer?

Microsoft Excel isn't the worst thing either if you don't want to spend time and money learning additional software

Absolutely. A friend of mine found a template for Excel a while ago for making movie budgets.

Also, Microsoft has a Word template for writing screenplays. It's not as flexible as what you can do with Final Draft or Movie Magic Screen Writer. But, it will help you make a formatted screenplay.

There are also paper back books on how to make and format screenplays, budgets, and shooting schedules available from The Writers Store. They have a web site you can find with Google.

Whilst FD may have taken over from MM Screen Writer, professionals all over the world still rely on MM Scheduling and MM Budgeting for productions at every level.

This is true for those of us who want to keep up with industry standards.

I searched through Microsoft's database of templates to find the Excel movie budget template and it is not there. So, I must assume the one a friend gave me is custom made.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody, your info is highly appreciated.

I don't want to open another thread, that being said, what are good programs for creating cartoons? I feel like it wouldn't hurt to learn some about animation.

What I do is, I use the free versions for a few months, once I know what Im doing, then I go ahead and buy the programs.

Thanks again.

I've never heard of adobe products for pre-production. Out of curiosity, which program and what tools does it offer?

https://story.adobe.com/en-us/

They allow for some advanced screenwriting tools, as well as some interesting pre-pro tools. I'm not sure about all of the features, but I know that both the free version and the pro-version have gotten some positive feedback, and I've found it to help me work more efficiently, writing.

Back