• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Max and Emma's Fifth Date

Cute! Hey, that was quite funny. Had me laughing. Won't try to comment on the technical stuff, other than the lighting; would have been even more better if they had been a little more lit in the diner scene. I think. But whatevah. A nice little treat, really. Nice work. =)

Cute! Hey, that was quite funny. Had me laughing. Won't try to comment on the technical stuff, other than the lighting; would have been even more better if they had been a little more lit in the diner scene. I think. But whatevah. A nice little treat, really. Nice work. =)
Thanks, I really appreciate your comment!

I don't have a ton of experience with lighting, but doing this helped me learn what a difference it can make.

"I'm pregnant." "You're sure it's not AIDS?"

Hahaha! That cracked me up. Along with the "You and your friends sure made me wish I could be dead for three days..."

I thought the guy was a brilliant actor - he was hilarious. She was weak, and her dialogue dragged a bit as a result.

"I'm pregnant." "You're sure it's not AIDS?"

Hahaha! That cracked me up. Along with the "You and your friends sure made me wish I could be dead for three days..."

I thought the guy was a brilliant actor - he was hilarious. She was weak, and her dialogue dragged a bit as a result.

That actor is a very sharp and dedicated camera guy as well, and I suspect he'd make a good director too. What is the part of filmmaking you like most, Jeff? Did you write this one?

That was great!

Really enjoyed the actor, he had certain facial funny expressions and delivered his lines well.

I enjoyed that hold you did when he was staring at the homeless man, didn't know what to expect.

That actor is a very sharp and dedicated camera guy as well, and I suspect he'd make a good director too. What is the part of filmmaking you like most, Jeff? Did you write this one?
Thanks Chris, yes, I wrote and directed this. I love writing and directing, but I can get into any aspect of filmmaking really.

I don't really like acting that much on projects I'm directing because it takes longer to focus shots with stand ins and I also have to rewatch all my takes afterwards, which slows things down. I only acted in this so I wouldn't have to worry about casting someone else and dealing with an actor.

I'm glad so many people watched and enjoyed! Thanks to everyone.

Nice work, the writing was strong and you did a good job in the role.

Was the dialogue dubbed? It sounded a little odd. Also - watch your eye lines, you crossed the line with her close-ups and it makes it feel like she's disconnected from the conversation because it looks like she's talking off to the room instead of him.

Was the dialogue dubbed? It sounded a little odd. Also - watch your eye lines, you crossed the line with her close-ups and it makes it feel like she's disconnected from the conversation because it looks like she's talking off to the room instead of him.
Yeah, the biggest lesson I learned working on this was how important sound equipment is. I had filmed all my other projects in homes, libraries, or very quiet controlled environments so I could just use the audio from the camera. However the cafe played music and was super loud, there was also a group of small children beside us just off camera, and we didn't want to shout the more inappropriate lines.
Looping the dialogue was also a lot harder than I thought it'd be. It's always the things you assume will be simple that take the longest to do. I worked on editing in the looped lines for about a week and I don't think I ever nailed it, but I really didn't want to spend all summer working on just one (and my first) short so I decided to leave it.

I agree with your comments on the framing. I had to set up for her close-up fast cause she was had to leave, and it always felt awkward to me. I'd never heard the eye line thing before, but I'll watch it.

Thanks for you comments and everyone else! I really appreciate it and I'm thrilled so many people watched.

I actually thought the looping was good - it confused me a little bit because at times the dialogue matched the mouth so well it seemed like it must have been recorded live. It was the tone of the dialogue that was off - it feels too present for the environment - but that's also the hardest thing to get right. For being your first project I think you did a good job, and clearly it was a valuable learning experience.

If you're not familiar with the 180° rule you should look into it (here's a good quick intro video on the concept from an IT member: http://vimeo.com/2690589). That will help you to keep the eyelines consistent in a scene like this.

Back