Has anyone gone to Vidcon?

Vidcon is the conference for Youtube producers and fans, and it's held every year in Anaheim, CA.

The LA Times has an article on the stars talking of how their videos went viral, but, again, there's no mention of money, never mind big money. This implies, again, that the big money is not to be found on the internet, at least so far. But, if so, then why did Disney spent half a billion dollars on a Youtube channel?

Apparently the Mouse House is hoping to make a big bet, hoping on a big payoff. BUT - and this is the big BUT - its last two digital purchases have not been good. As Variety noted,

As massive a global, young-skewing audience as Maker has, this company faces a basic challenge like any other so-called multichannel network: difficulty reaping advertising dollars in proportion to even the modest amounts required to bankroll production of talent including top-ranked PewDiePie and a newly signed roster of more premium talent including Snoop Dogg, Will.i.am and Steve-O. And that’s a difficulty that may not get much easier given how difficult it is to make money off of YouTube, though Maker certainly intends to try as it signaled with its acquisition last year of Blip.

That said, Youtube can be a great way to get experience, especially since many cannot break into the major studios (like me). So the end goal, according to many at Vidcon this year, is to use Youtube as a stepping stone. This means they recognize what Louise Levison has said all along, that the money on the internet isn't there. So they're hoping to get noticed by TV or, as I would suggest, noticed by a film studio.

That's my perspective, but, if anyone has gone to a Vidcon, I'd love to get your insights.

I went in 2010 and was there for a day (Friday) with a
web series team.

Lot's of hopefuls. No one I spoke to is making much money
on their product. The team I went with was promoting their
third web series (I've directed four episodes - crewed on nine)
hasn't made their initial expenses back yet despite winning
several awards.

But there are people making a LOT on money. As the article
points out these are "stars" that make one video that goes
viral (Rebecca Black) or big personalities like GloZell Green.
They are not making "shows" in the standard sense of the word.

Most are hoping that their series (or channel) will be picked up
by a major company. And some creators - very few so far - are
being talked to by cable and networks.

Thanks for your input, as always, Rik. But who is making a lot of money from Youtube? I'm curious, because I am hoping to go to next year's Vidcon.

I think this would be a good way for an aspiring mogul to get experience and flesh out his concepts. What do you think?

This implies, again, that the big money is not to be found on the internet, at least so far.

You keep saying this. What would you define as "big money?"

Most of the major youtube stars are making 6 figures a year. No, it's not millions for individuals, but collectively, youtube is making big money

You keep saying this. What would you define as "big money?"

Most of the major youtube stars are making 6 figures a year. No, it's not millions for individuals, but collectively, youtube is making big money

Big money would be eight figures. BTW, I know I've asked you about this before, but do you have any links that say Youtube stars make six figures?

Last edited:

Thanks. :)

But, from looking at the links, one of them is a NY Times article that states

Ms. Mourey would not disclose any financial details, but industry experts estimate that a star at Jenna Marbles’s level could make a very comfortable six figures from advertising revenues that the video network pays out to members of the “YouTube Partner Program.” TubeMogul, a video ad-buying platform in California, examined traffic on the Jenna Marbles channel and estimated that she could have earned as much as $346,827.12 in 2012.

That's not a hard number, but she apparently lives well, so there may be some truth to that.

And, from Business Insider, an analysis of another Youtube star.

Kay is probably getting by on less than 50% of what her videos make in gross revenue. In a $100,000 year, she might be looking at $15,000 annually, after YouTube's cut, taxes and editing costs, according to our back-of the-envelope math ($100,000 minus $45,000 for YouTube, minus 30% for the IRS, minus editing costs at $500 per week for 50 weeks).

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-money-youtube-stars-actually-make-2014-2#ixzz365htvkvd

That said, a Youtube queen could make over $350,000.00, but this is not confirmed.

Looking at these links, I'll still say it's very hard to make money, but there's a possibility some may make six figures. But is anyone making eight figures? As of now, no, but that could change, I'll concede that.

I think this would be a good way for an aspiring mogul to get experience and flesh out his concepts. What do you think?
Like AFM, Vidcon is mostly for people with completed projects. Not for
people fleshing out concepts. Once you have a completed show on
line then Vidcom is for you.

But meeting people who make web series and sketches can be interesting.

Like AFM, Vidcon is mostly for people with completed projects. Not for
people fleshing out concepts. Once you have a completed show on
line then Vidcom is for you.

But meeting people who make web series and sketches can be interesting.

I was thinking of putting short scenes on Youtube to get the experience, as opposed to going to Vidcon to get the experience.

That said, I would go to Vidcon to meet the people who have projects and get their ideas.

I don't know, if you're making six figures on Youtube, I'd consider that big money - For living off of your Youtube work, anyway.

Good point. I have been getting anecdotal evidence to say that ad revenues on Youtube may be increasing, so everyone here may be on to something. I will have to think about this.

Yeah, they have NDAs with Youtube, so it's not really possible to narrow down anyone's income, but there are plenty of ways to estimate ("Guess" would be a more accurate word)

Take a random youtuber that posts a weekly video that gets 1 million views, guaranteed, because of his audience. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that their CPM is $1 for every 1,000 views (could be higher, could be lower. Depends on the ad)

That means they would make $1,000 every time they upload, as long as that audience makes it reach 1 million views. And if they only do it weekly, I know it'd be $52,000 a year not including taxes, but I'd consider even that "big money." Especially since most of these youtubers don't have any production costs at all.

Yeah, they have NDAs with Youtube, so it's not really possible to narrow down anyone's income, but there are plenty of ways to estimate ("Guess" would be a more accurate word)

Take a random youtuber that posts a weekly video that gets 1 million views, guaranteed, because of his audience. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that their CPM is $1 for every 1,000 views (could be higher, could be lower. Depends on the ad)

That means they would make $1,000 every time they upload, as long as that audience makes it reach 1 million views. And if they only do it weekly, I know it'd be $52,000 a year not including taxes, but I'd consider even that "big money." Especially since most of these youtubers don't have any production costs at all.

You're making a very important point, Mussonman. If I can get $52,000 a year, that could pay for a good bit of the production cost of a low-budget series. I have to think about this.

As with traditional TV (network and cable) the number of viewers
determine how much ad revenue the show makes. If a YouTube
show can get one million views per week (or per month) and each
new episode gets the same then money can be made.

Therein lies the rub. Getting one million views consistently.

The fifth season premiere of “Breaking Bad” got three million. After
five years the season opener could only manage three million viewers.
Season One average: 1.2 million. Season Two average: 1.3 million.
Season Three average: 1.5 million. Season Four average: 1.9 million.
And that was with a large advertising budget, excellent reviews and
several Emmy nominations and awards.

Imagine the difficulty of an episode of a web series generating those
kinds of numbers.

My usual question:

How many of you (this is specifically directed at Mogul) watch an episode
of a web series on YouTube each and every week? You want one million
people to watch your episode each week. Do YOU do that with ANY web
series?

I watch a lot of youtube vids every day. It has replaced television in my life because frankly, it's better. I can also choose the content I watch at the time I want to watch it and the ads are less intrusive. Many of my friends are like this and a lot of people are like this because you can now watch youtube on your tv set with video-game consoles.

Good to hear someone is watching.

What ad supported web series do you (or your friends) watch
on a regular basis? Do you watch every episode? Are they reliably
good/better than network/cable series?

Good to hear someone is watching.

What ad supported web series do you (or your friends) watch
on a regular basis? Do you watch every episode? Are they reliably
good/better than network/cable series?

Hmm... one that all my friends watch?

Probably Game Grumps, which is like a podcast featuring two comedians playing video-games and talking about random crap (there's also a lot of live-action stuff)

I'd say it is reliably better due to the consistent comedic quality and energy.

You have people like Phillip DeFranco, The Creatures gaming group, Pewdiepie, The Fine Bros, EpicMealTime, MysteryGuitarMan.

These guys are the ones that end up making a good amount of money based off of sponsors and views/ads.

Like Mussonman said, it varies, but averaging around 1$ for every 1000 views plus the people that actually CLICK the ads which adds even more and and say you're pulling a pewdiepie with over 1 million views a video, well, you do the math.

How many of you (this is specifically directed at Mogul) watch an episode
of a web series on YouTube each and every week? You want one million
people to watch your episode each week. Do YOU do that with ANY web
series?

For myself, I don't watch Youtube series, but I don't watch TV anymore either, though I do go to movies.

If you're saying that Youtube series don't make money, then I would agree with you, because I've been saying that. Of course, films don't make money either, but, unlike Youtube, a movie can hit it big. Youtube, as of now, can also do it, BUT only if it gets made into a movie or TV series.

averaging around 1$ for every 1000 views plus the people that actually CLICK the ads which adds even more and and say you're pulling a pewdiepie with over 1 million views a video, well, you do the math.

For 1 million views, that would be $1,000 a month.

Hmm... one that all my friends watch?

Probably Game Grumps, which is like a podcast featuring two comedians playing video-games and talking about random crap (there's also a lot of live-action stuff)

I'd say it is reliably better due to the consistent comedic quality and energy.
Just the one? That's it?

Okay, how about the ones YOU watch? What ad supported web
series do you watch on a regular basis? Do you watch every episode?
I'm trying to understand how a series can get close to one million
views. I can't seem to find anyone (but you) who actually watch Youtube
shows.

I know several people who produce shows and win awards and go to
things like Vidcon, but I don't know people who watch a lot of Youtube
shows. Your'e friends watch one. Which ones to you watch?

Is anyone watching web series?

Back