Casting -- Dialogue & Actors

These days, I see more and more actors are concern about the percentage of dialogue they get in a script to decide whether or not they want to commit to a production. Obviously, everyone wants to be a star. But, supporting roles and stunt actors are very vital to productions as well.

Why is there less interest in doing stunts and more interest in the percentage of dialogue?

Well, the "enough dialogue" saga continues as I'm booking actors to audition for action / stunt supporting roles. One actress dropped out because she doesn't see "enough dialogue" for her reel. I've gotten emails from others question why they only have a couple of lines of dialogue. At this point, I told them they can improv more. Some care more about the percentage of dialogue than doing stunts. I've got 10 people coming in to audition for the role. I hope I have enough backups with that many. For another role, I only have 2 actors coming for the same sinerio. I'll let the actors improv dialogue if it works in the scene if it makes them happy.

Back to the issue with actors as to who has the most dialogue, the stunt auditions are showing us some actors who like phycical activity are really enjoying the stunts. One actress emailed me that she wants to be a part of the production because she has been looking for a long time to get into a production with a lot of action. So, lots of dialogue to her is not that important.

In my experience, well prepared actors have both acting reels and action reels. Some of these people starting out done realize that. They only want to talk.

Back