• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Festival Worthy? You decide...

Well its been a while since I have been on this forum, but I'm gonna start dropping by more often now my work load is less...

One question I have for anyone reading this; Is my film festival worthy?

http://www.vimeo.com/7813806

Take a look, check it out and let me know back on here. I was thinking of entering it into a festival like the Virgin Media Shorts where the film can be no longer than 2.20. But I would also love to know your opinions on the technical aspects, what can be improved etc?

One more question goes to all of the US users on here; how do you feel this would stand up in an American festival?

Please get back to me with any responses, thanks!

I dont mean to be offensive here. Personally, i think it was very nice and kudos to you for going out and not being worried about asking the general public to do it. But i dont think this is a winner is a film festival.

Actually in online festivals ive seen some horrible entries. This is def good material compared to what is out there, i just dont think its a winner.

I really dont mean to be discouraging, lemme say once again i honestly liked it a lot.

Thanks for the feedback. Im not offended at all I asked for your opinion and thats it so thats cool. Although I didnt ask whether it could be a winning entry, but worth sending to try and get into a festival... then of course the aim would be to win, but first I just want to know whether its worth sending.

Stake,

I have no experience in festivals, so I'm useless for advice. But since I live in the U.S., I am at least qualified to answer one of your questions.

It piqued my curiosity simply because of the location. I spent half the film trying to figure out what city it was in, because it didn't look like an American location, which allowed my mind to become engaged on an extra level. And that's good.

I was also wondering what the film was trying to say, and frankly, if it had gonna on for another minute or so, I would have turned it off. But then came the line at the end regarding the genreal public's acting ability, and I thought Kewl!.......And the music kept me goin' too.

Best

Midnite

I think some of the photography is nice, and it's an interesting concept, but I do not think it belongs in a 'film' festival.

My two cents.

I couldn't get it to work because it kept freezing up. So I never got past the little girl opening scene.

Meanwhile, I used to fly Virgin Atlantic all the time and loved watching their collection of shorts. My fav was a short about a guy that picks up a girl on the highway. She is driving a sports car and he a motor bike. She ends up in his apartment and then ends up stealing his bike. No script. It was really good.

So I wished I could have seen it to compare it to what I would see on those flights. They really did do a good job and picking out the very best shorts.

hey! just watched it!

the quality of the cinematography is great, but the fact that it has no storyline means that it might not hold up in a festival.

nice concept though!

For those of you who say this film is not worth entering into a
film festival I have a question;

How many film festivals have you attended in the last 12 months? I
mean actually paid for a ticket and sat in a theater playing a
selection of short films.
first I just want to know whether its worth sending.
I think you can answer this question better than anyone.

Why are you thinking of entering your movie into a film festival?
What is your goal? When you can answer those two questions, then
you will know if it’s worth entering.

directorik, i have not been to a film festival in the USA for 3 years now. I have been living in Europe doing other things than film and havent attended one here either. Im moving back to the states this year though.

i have been voting on and watching entries online now and then and as a result this was my original reply to the OP

"Actually in online festivals ive seen some horrible entries. This is def good material compared to what is out there, i just dont think its a winner.

I really dont mean to be discouraging, lemme say once again i honestly liked it a lot."

As far as online festivals go, he can enter it imo but i dont think its going to win. I left the decision up to him.

EDIT: Actually... perhaps, ur question was not meant for me. In that case, nevermind. lol.

For those of you who say this film is not worth entering into a
film festival I have a question;

How many film festivals have you attended in the last 12 months? I
mean actually paid for a ticket and sat in a theater playing a
selection of short films.

In the last 12 months? Several, however, I don't think that's relevant. I've been to many in the past 10 years...enough to give an opinion for sure.

This is a well-produced short and it deserves an audience...but not at a 'film festival.' There are far too many festivals now'adays that allow *anything* to be screened...more often than not, actually, the majority of films are sub-par, and completely homegrown...

I may have higher standards than the average cat...but still, as pretty as these shots are, it isn't something I'd want to pay to see, nor should it be accepted into a 'festival.' It does have a home...somewhere...just not at a festival for shorts and features.

Thanks for everyones opinions. The actual reason I made this film was because I went to a film festival here in Manchester and it contained a couple of 'art' films. These consisted of 'arty' shots which didnt make a lot of sense but may have been 'thought provoking' to some critics. Personally I'm not into art films at all and think they should be banned...

With this, I decided I would joke around with my very own arty style film. This turned into The Emotionless Sunflower which (although I'm not suppose to) actually quite like and enjoy watching.

So thats why I made the film, all I am trying to achieve by entering it into a festival is to firstly get it into a screening full of people that care about film. Secondly I just want people to enjoy it, thats all (as well as get some exposure in the industry).

I think 'artsy' films have a place in cinema...and I think they should have their own festivals. I just don't think truly experimental or artsy films should be included in standard 'film festivals.'

I’m sorry, M1chae1, I didn’t mean to infer that your (or anyone's)
opinion isn’t relevant. I’m sorry you took it that way. I am, by
nature, a curious person and my question wasn’t intended to put
anyone down. Only to satisfy my curiosity.

I felt the question was relevant because many filmmakers making
short films do not go to film festivals. Sure, they watch some
short films on line, but that’s different. In my opinion. Thus my
question. I apologize for asking a question you felt wasn’t
relevant.
... all I am trying to achieve by entering it into a festival is to firstly get it into a screening full of people that care about film. Secondly I just want people to enjoy it, thats all (as well as get some exposure in the industry).
In that case my suggestion is to enter as many film festivals with
this movie as you can afford. The truth is very few people attend
festivals - except for the top eight - so you may not get it into a
screening room full of people, and you may not get much exposure
to people in the industry. However, entering film festivals is a great
way to learn what other people think of your movie.

Regardless of ones personal opinion on the movies they see in festivals;
not good enough, should be banned - most festival programmers try
to include a wide range of styles and types. You may find some
programmers really like it and would fit it into their festival.

You'll never know if to don't send it out.

most festival programmers try
to include a wide range of styles and types. You may find some
programmers really like it and would fit it into their festival.

I'll second this...personally I would love to see your film in between mine and another narrative at a short festival screening. My favorite festival of all time (Riverside Saginaw) only has three categories...narrative, documentary, and experimental. The screenings are always an eclectic and exciting mix.

there's no reason not to send it (other than the entree fee) if you are proud of it and you want to show it send it to a festival. It's not really a narrative but it's deffenenty a film, and iv'e seen worse at festivals.

True, good points everyone. Thanks for your help and advice etc! Anyone else who wants to comment on it with a technical opinion or whatever you want thats fine, I'd love to know your opinions.

Back