Best affordable recording equipment?

Hi

I'm recently started a small YouTube channel and wanted to know whats the best Entry level recording equipment I can buy at an affordable price?

hi guys, first post

following on from the original question, what would I need if all I wanted was some narration? After some basic research, I've come to the conclusion that a Lavalier mic should do the trick, what do you guys think?

also, how do those things work, do you just hook up to a digital audio recorder?

Narration is usually done with a Large Diaphragm Condenser (LDC) mic and recorded directly to computer via an interface. At the low/no/mini/micro budget level you can use a USB mic like the Blue Snowball, Audio Technica AT2020 or Rode Podcaster. You can also get an USB adapter if you prefer a different/better LDC like the Neumann TLM 102, TLM 103 (love mine), U87, AKG 414 series (I have an old 414 BUL/S), Blue Dragonfly or Blueberry plus many others.

Some do use shotguns or SDCs (Small Diaphragm Condenser).

What's your budget?

Last edited:
well... let's say £100, is that reasonable?

lol it probably isn't, looking at a couple other threads the budgets are going up around £500-600... I'm a student so I can't afford much

well... let's say £100, is that reasonable?

lol it probably isn't, looking at a couple other threads the budgets are going up around £500-600... I'm a student so I can't afford much

Did you research the mics in my post? For the £100 range for USB LDC mics...

At the low/no/mini/micro budget level you can use a USB mic like the Blue Snowball, Audio Technica AT2020 or Rode Podcaster.

Blue Snowball - US$70 w/ table stand & cable

Audio Technica AT2020 - US$130 w/ table stand & cable

Rode Podcaster - US$230

There are many more by Audio Technica, MXL, Samson, Nady and Studio Projects. Do your research, make a choice. These three are my personal preferences.

What do you mean by a "significant difference?" Are they going to sound as good as mics in the US$1,000 to US$3,000 range? Of course not. Will they sound better than a camera or computer mic? Yes, the will. Will they sound more like a "narration" mic than a shotgun or other SDC? In most cases, yes. But, as always, it is going to come down to knowledge, skill and technique.

Back