• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Will these screenplays be rejected?

I read that, if you're a beginner screenplay, you shouldn't write sci-fi screenplays, because they might be too expensive to make and they will be rejected. What is the truth about this idea? If someone submits a first screenplay and it's very "large"(eg: contains scenes on different planets, many weapons, futuristic buildings, lots of characters), will it be automatically rejected or does it depend on its quality, and if it's good, people will accept it?

By the way, he didn't write American graffiti, not even co write it with Gloria Katz and Willard Huyck, you can find the amazing truth about who really wrote the whole screen play of American graffiti in the book essentials of screenwriting by Richard Walter. So star wars was pretty much his first big script.

I'm talking of course about the first star wars. The fact that it wasn't his first screenplay doesn't mean anything. He wasn't known and everyone rejected the star wars because it was a very expensive scifi movie. Actually everyone believed that scifi movies are for kids! But he gave a huge fight and won. Watch his story. George Lucas and his star wars is the best example for victortiti89 question. The final answer is, come on... of course it will be selected, but according to George Lucas story, that doesn't mean a shit...

Well.... the Star wars script suck't..... only because of INSANE!!! good editing the movie ended up like it was... Years later.... George re edited the movie into the crap that is the Episode IV. I hate that George is always seen as this brilliant artist with the great vision. Like he did it all on his own.... Even Tarantino is not this Arrogant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

Last edited:
Yes Panos, developing the special FX was a big part of getting it sold. But so was his success with American Grafitti. Star Wars wasn't an easy sell. "United Artists... Universal passed. Disney, ironically, passed. But then Fox agreed to finance the film as a means to craft a relationship with the rising star (Lucas), who was fresh off a best-picture-Oscar nomination for American Graffiti—a movie that has nothing to do with sci-fi, but still... American Graffiti became one of the most profitable films of all time during its mid-70s theatrical run..." That counts for a lot.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/star-wars-george-lucas-independent-film

I guess you don't know the story behind how he soled it. The way he managed finally to convince the producers to make it a movie and the fact that he created all the weird effects by his own shows that he didn't soled it because he was known of course!
You said "He wasn't known". Perhaps I don't know the story behind
how he sold it, but I do know that we was known. He was an Academy
Award nominated director, an Academy Award nominated writer and
had made a very successful movie.

The way he even got in the door to finally convince producers to make
it a movie was because he was known. Yes, the script was a hard sell,
but he was known. Which is the point of this topic.

Victor asked if a beginner has a chance selling a big budget Sci-Fi script.
Lucas isn't a good example of a beginner selling a big budget Sci-Fi
script. It's a fine example of a well known, Oscar nominated writer/director
struggling to sell a Sci-Fi script and succeeding.

Panos; what book should I read about Lucas to better know the story?
I read "Skywalking", "George Lucas: A Life" and even the very anti-Lucas
bio by John Baxter.

Great video, Feutus Lapdance.
I don't know if you could really say the Ep. IV script sucked, the underlying story is good. But Lucas definitely benefitted from having co-writers. And that includes Ep. IV. Even though he's the only credited writer, it was still "rewritten" in the edit. The editors made a lot of great contributions to make it better.
I don't think most people understand how a script can continue to change during the shoot all the way to the final edit. They just see the writing credit & think that's exactly how they intended it.

Originally posted by Buscando: I don't think most people understand how a script can continue to change during the shoot all the way to the final edit.

So very true. In both of my features, scenes were re-ordered and sections cut in the edit, and I re-wrote scenes on the fly while we were shooting.

Directoric always tries to prove with a lot of passion that he is right. He also becomes ironic when someone don't agree with him. Buscando f.e. and everyone else, express their disagreement with a great way, but directoric becomes always ironic at the end . I wonder if the admin sees that. There is no further discussion from me with such a person!

Directoric always tries to prove with a lot of passion that he is right. He also becomes ironic when someone don't agree with him. Buscando f.e. and everyone else, express their disagreement with a great way, but directoric becomes always ironic at the end . I wonder if the admin sees that. There is no further discussion from me with such a person!

I'm confused.... you did not see any of the Star wars movies? How can you give them as a example?

Buscando f.e. and everyone else, express their disagreement with a great way, but directoric becomes always ironic at the end . I wonder if the admin sees that.
I'm not trying to prove I'm right. I offered an example. If my
example is wrong and Lucas was not known I would welcome a
correction. That's why I asked for a recommendation as to what
I should read to expand my knowledge.
I guess you don't know the story behind how he soled it.
It seems that you have more information on Lucas than I do. I
only wish to better understand. You call it ironic, I call it a sincere
desire to learn. If Lucas was an unknown writer who sold a Sci-Fi
script to a major studio that would be a wonderful example for
Victor.

In defense of Panos, he can have knowledge of Lucas without seeing
any of the Star Wars movies.

Yes its possible. My judgment of George Lucas is based on Redletermedia, the people vs George Lucas, David Linch about George Lucas and a Interview with Oprah... I see a man that plays the victim card and has no respect for the people that help build the first 3 movies.

Lets get back on topic. Silent Running is the first script from Deric Washburn and Michael Cimino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-OBV49gvmk

Last edited:
Lets get back on topic. Silent Running is the first script from Deric Washburn and Michael Cimino.
Panos is right; I do have a lot of passion on this topic - not to prove I'm
right but to be clear.

"Silent Running" is not a big budget with scenes on different planets,
many weapons, futuristic buildings, lots of characters. It was made for
one million (six million today) only $300,000 more than "THX 1138"
one year earlier. Only one set and only four actors.

I hope you're still following this thread, Victor. Both of Feutus Lapdance's
examples show a beginning writer can sell a Sci-Fi script. These examples
(including my example of "Le Dernier Combat") show that a script from a
beginning writer should be low budget with few characters and few sets.

BTW: I've read the first 20 pages of your script. So far I like it. You are a
good writer.

I remember THX 1138 having lots of bald extra's, robot cops and a exploding car.... (script could have been better.... so sad his girlfriend ends up dissected, very dissatisfy't with that )

More examples of smaller first time SF scripts (or surreal movies, depend how you look at them): Stalker, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Turbo Kid and Event Horizon.

I apologize for replying to this thread after such a long while, but I just found an article, and I don't know what to think...:(
http://www.greenlightmymovie.com/is-a-good-screenplay-good-enough/
(The "Go for Broke" part)

Don't worry too much about that part.
I think it translates into: 'if it is just funny, it can be funnier', etc, 'so keep improving'.
But when it is about large vs huge, I think it is written to challenge you not to cripple yourself by toning down and deciding what can and cannot be done. At least not in the first draft. Prentend everything is possible and write the most exciting script you can write!

Back