Is Kickstarter Becoming Harder

I thought I would pass along this interesting post on the Ms. In the Biz site.

This filmmaker, who has had great success with Kickstarter in the past, is not tracking as well with her current project. She opens up with her numbers and tries to draw some conclusions, causes:

Including:

FACEBOOK CHANGED: The thing that’s going to hurt your Kickstarter though is their desire to get paid to show people your stuff. It used to be that if someone liked your page they would see your posts. No longer.

CROWDFUNDING FATIGUE: Everyone we know is crowdfunding. I believe crowdfunding has a large and bright future but the first backlash is inevitable and we may be in it now. “Oh, wow I can’t wait to jump on board” is no longer the initial reaction to someone’s crowdfunding campaign among those whose social circle is full of crowdfunding. This will make campaigns a harder sell

MEDIA CROWDFUNDING OVERLOAD. Every media outlet is constantly bombarded with requests to cover crowdfunding campaigns. Many of them now have a no crowdfunding policy. Just having a campaign is no longer newsworthy.

She admits it is hard to draw conclusions, but some of these seem reasonable to me.

All crowdfunding sites are becoming harder because of the massive amount of people coming to the site and cluttering pages up with their (usually not thought out) campaigns. People have to find new ways to rise above other campaigns with better quality videos and more to the point descriptions. Any poor schmuck can start a Kickstarter campaign, but it takes a talented (in both videomaking and business) and clever person to actually succeed.

Agreed. And we all have been asked many times for contributions to various projects.

I've gotten more discriminating as to who I support and, more importantly , now much I donate.
But I DO donate to a lot of projects, and will continue to do so.

In Australia's there's been indiegogo for quite some time. It really comes down to your marketing and perceived value so geography shouldn't have been too much of an issue.

I don't think I'll try to crowdfund another project with either Kickstarter or IndieGoGo. Gotta play to my strengths and asking for money via social media is not one of them. :lol:

But good on you if you're able to navigate the process successfully!

Back