Bags to Carry Gear

I.am a fan of the Pelican hard cases with pluckable foam for delicate gear. I have one for my camera but am a super newb to.filming. I have used them for years for storing and hauling my gemology microscope and instruments as a profession...and none of that stuff is cheap!

As I understand it you're assembling a production kit. Here's the best thing to do: Once you get most of the junk, take it to your local camera store and see how well it all fits in various bags. It's hard to tell from a website if the size is right. It's like trying to buy clothes online -- hard to guess the size. You can also get amazing deals in second hand stores. Generally gear bags are a big rip off.

Portabrace makes the best soft-cases in my opinion (and many other's :)). Years ago had a larger, expensive camera take a tumble down a flight of stairs in a zipped-open portabrace bag and it came out without a scuff on it.

That said, pelican makes a killer hard case. What are you putting in it though? We use a gamut of Portabrace and similar gear-specific soft cases, pelican hard cases, Rubbermaid storage bins and regular duffel bags. The cameras are in the nicer stuff, the stingers in a duffel bag.

Portabrace makes the best soft-cases in my opinion (and many other's :)). Years ago had a larger, expensive camera take a tumble down a flight of stairs in a zipped-open portabrace bag and it came out without a scuff on it.

That said, pelican makes a killer hard case. What are you putting in it though? We use a gamut of Portabrace and similar gear-specific soft cases, pelican hard cases, Rubbermaid storage bins and regular duffel bags. The cameras are in the nicer stuff, the stingers in a duffel bag.

I agree, Portabraces are super badass. Pelicans can withstand a Cruise missile strike but they're heavy and bulky as sin.

Man! You guys are going all out with the bags haha!

I just padded two old sport bags and a backpack :))
Definitely not the safest methods but I don't usually my crap around.

If you DO go for a hard case, get them with wheels and a pulley handle.

Carrying them is fine until you have 3-4 kits which must be moved around at the same time.

Real life saver for your back.

Being the cheap ( sob ) that i am I hit some yard sales and checked craigslist and picked up some golf bags to carry light stands and other various items, just make sure that hey have a good strap.

You can't go wrong with a Peli Case. I know a DoP who kept his gear in a warehouse which caught fire - anything sitting in the open was destroyed, but there wasn't a mark on any of the kit that had been locked up in Peli Cases.

Back