• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 'Summer'

Hi Indie talk-ers :D
I'm new to film making, so I'm trying to get in as much practice I can. Since the weather finally began to brighten up in the UK, I decided to try my luck at the whole 'montage' thing. This experiment was mainly to try to improve my camera technique in general, and begin to understand how natural lighting works.
...Maybe I went a bit overboard with the blur :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoJGGxn7Vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoJGGxn7Vo

Could I have some feedback?

Last edited:
Nice work overall. I don't think there's much to criticize since you're not really trying to say much. I feel you communicated a mood. Hopeful, pleasant, building to something, joyful.

The images are pretty nice. Your first pan is really the only flagrant foul in the whole piece. It's too fast for the mood. And your camera can't handle the speed. I once heard the rule of thumb for panning (with no subject being followed) is 7 seconds. In other words, make sure it takes seven seconds for a piece of background to enter and exit frame during your pan. Otherwise you're too fast, both for the camera chip and for the audience's barf threshold.

The pattern of motion is a bit redundant when you track along a window frame the second time, but not a big deal.

Overall, you did a great job of marrying music to your cinematography and edits. The whole thing is quite good. Especially if used for opening credits or something. I think if you really want to grow as a filmmaker, though, you should start trying to tell a story with your camera. That's a thousand times more challenging than an abstract montage. But you're clearly ready for the next step.

good luck,
Shanked

Nice work overall. I don't think there's much to criticize since you're not really trying to say much. I feel you communicated a mood. Hopeful, pleasant, building to something, joyful.

The images are pretty nice. Your first pan is really the only flagrant foul in the whole piece. It's too fast for the mood. And your camera can't handle the speed. I once heard the rule of thumb for panning (with no subject being followed) is 7 seconds. In other words, make sure it takes seven seconds for a piece of background to enter and exit frame during your pan. Otherwise you're too fast, both for the camera chip and for the audience's barf threshold.

The pattern of motion is a bit redundant when you track along a window frame the second time, but not a big deal.

Overall, you did a great job of marrying music to your cinematography and edits. The whole thing is quite good. Especially if used for opening credits or something. I think if you really want to grow as a filmmaker, though, you should start trying to tell a story with your camera. That's a thousand times more challenging than an abstract montage. But you're clearly ready for the next step.

good luck,
Shanked

Thank you I appreciate it! I'll be sure to remember the 7 second rule :D

Back