• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Nightbeat

I applaud anyone's effort for making a movie I guess that's why I keep coming back here. There are some talented people making the effort and I dig that. So I thought I would put in my two cents in the screening room before I submit my creations for the chopping block. :)

That being said I enjoyed the music. It went well with what was going on screen. Your lead actor who played Jack Gibson did a good job. I think he captured that 40's detective voice well and played it through to the end. The sound has been mentioned before and is one of the hardest things to get right...unfortunately. I apologize but the story was lost on me. Could be because I'm was watching it in between work. :(

Overall good effort, I can't wait see your improvement of the course of the next three (?) chapters.

Oh and I thought the pin up girls was a great way to keep people (me) tuned in to the final credits...nice touch. :lol:

Rick

Instead of knocking the film and the efforts of the film maker and the actors, why don't you try to say something positive and uplifting. Remember that these people had little to no-budget, so they got by with what they could, and put very hard work into this, and if i may say so they did a very good job! The actors were very well the part, and the atmosphere was convincing. All and all i would give this film a big fat 10 for effort! Keep up the good work Cohen! ;)

I don't see anyone knocking anything, I see constructive criticism and honest reviews.

RoxyBright said:
Instead of knocking the film and the efforts of the film maker and the actors, why don't you try to say something positive and uplifting. Remember that these people had little to no-budget, so they got by with what they could, and put very hard work into this, and if i may say so they did a very good job! The actors were very well the part, and the atmosphere was convincing. All and all i would give this film a big fat 10 for effort! Keep up the good work Cohen! ;)

I don't think anyone is knocking the film. :huh:

The general consesus has been that it's a great short. There have been a few technical issues mentioned, but that is to be expected when previewing it to a group of fellow filmmakers.

Cohen has a talented team of people that he works with (many regulars, too) and can pull off very entertaining flicks with low budgets. It really is astonishing what he keeps producing, with the resources he has.

If there is any value in the constructive criticism presented so far, it is certainly with the best intention of aiding him to become even better at what he does... which is to make great flicks. :cool:

_______

P.S. Ms. Brooke is hot
smiley_fatcat.gif

I have a feeling that was directed at me. For my pool comments.

I was being constructive in my criticsim, and I think Hail knows that. I appreciate the fact that this was a no-budget production being that all of my work up to this point would be considered no-budget. I commended him on what I thought was good about the film and pointed out what I thought needed work. Simple as that.

Also, I have ET in my avatar. That means I am pure of heart...and have a glowing finger.

Poke

Last edited:
First off, I didn't take any offensive to what you all said. I consider you all my friends and wouldn't change that for the world. I like feedback. Good or bad. It helps me grow. And with this film series the good thing about it is, that it doesn't end here with chapter 1. We got 4 more to go. I can really apply what you guys have said (and others) to the next one and make improvments. 98 precent of the film I already know all the flaws of the film, as I've seen it tons and tons of times. But I want to share my work with everyone and see what they like, what's working, what doesn't. It's all about doing good work and most important...HAVING FUN! :D Thank you all for watching and enjoying this film. :) Thanks Roxy for being such a strong fan as well. :cool:

Rick- I'm glad you liked the music. The music is almost a character in itself. Rich Douglas did an amazing job. Also alittle fact here, the score is in tribute to the late-great Jerry Goldsmith. Next time listen to it you can hear the little things Rich has put in there to Mr. Goldsmith. It was like a week after his death when Rich got the movie to score and we desided it would be a fitting tribute to someone who's work we both loved. For the rest of the facts...you'll have to buy the DVD! :lol:

asylum- Yes you and others have said that they really like that shot. I would have to say it's my one of my fav shots in the movie as well! :D It's just....neat to look at over and over again.

My Critique

Wow. Exellent. The lighting was great, the concept was interesting. I especially liked the ending confrontation. However the audio was popping alot. What model camera did you use?

Also, my advise for chapter 2: As as a fellow screenwriter, I advise you to avoid any cliched lines; i.e. reffering to her boss as "master". Corny-esque lines can distract the audience, and though you did a good job of avoiding many, there were still a few.

To ANYONE who writes or wants to write screenplays, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND "What are You Laughing at?" -by Brad Schreiber. Although the content caontains alot of methods for humorous writing, it also contains priceless information and gives you all the tools you need to craft a captivating screenplay for any genre.

And finally, everyone writing should just listen. Observe how people talk. What do they say casually? What do people never say in reality but only in movies? It truly helps your dialogue. But if you can condense the visuals, you can avoid dialogue, which is very helpful.

So again, Good Job! Great idea, I loved it. My favorite shot was in the last scene when he is tied up. I liked the lighting design, it was pretty cool.

Hope it helps,
Steve McDonald

P.S. Again, what camera model did you use.

Last edited:
HTTK--I am trying to watch your movie, but I am getting a "The page cannot be found" error. Has it been moved, or am I missing something...?

Okay--I got it tonight. You did a great job with this! I really enjoyed it. you obviously went through a great deal of effort to get the period look. I liked the camera angles, and there were a few simple images that stood out -- Jasmine's feet coming down the stairs, the burglar running through the puddle, and of course, the smoke in the light. I thought the whole movie was a little to dark, but that could have something to do with my monitor settings. Looking forward to Part 2 !!!

Dear Hail,
i am a big fan of film noir (as much as i am a fan of anything) and really would love to see this, only problem is i don't have QT and can't download it.
is there any possibility of it being avaliable in wmp any time?
cheers, nique.

If you download VLC Media Player (it's free, no viruses and really small), that will play pretty much any format. Including .mov and even .flv

Back