...and now what?

I'm 14, just finished my first feature length dark-comedy/suspense film with a grant from the VA Film Office, and showed it at 4 theaters in my general area. What do I do with it now?

What do I do with it now?

What would you like to do with it now.

If you want to make some bux from it, you can see if a distributor will pick it up and sell it on your behalf. Or you could make it available for retail sale yourself by selling it yourself. Or by using CreateSpace (or similar) services. Or you could give it away for free on YouTube. Or you could run the festival circuit.

Do any obligations need to be fulfilled, or any conditions attached, for that grant?

'Grats on finishing a film in your teens. Wish I'd started that young. :cool:

Thanks, and as far as the grant goes, I had to go through anything any other big budget production would've had to go through. Although, unfortunately, the VA Film Office lost some of their integrity in my eyes when they asked me to not refer to the payment as a grant but as a sponsorship (when legally it is a grant, and was referred to it by them as one).

But anyway, how would you go about getting a distributor?

I'd shoot for a few festivals to see how it does. It'll give you a feel for how your film stacks up with others. If it's great, distributors may find you.

You've already had your premiere so some festivals may not accept it. Whatever you do, don't post it on the internet until you're absolutely sure there's no more life you can squeeze out of it.

Good luck.

Can we see a trailer? My curiosity is fully picqued! I think it's incredible that you were able to do this, so congrats!

I, too, think you should submit to a few festivals (submit only to ones that you would actually attend if accepted). However, be aware that the vast majority of festivals are not an avenue for getting distribution (that really only happens at a small handful of the super prestigious ones).

Now what?

Cut a better trailer of the film. 30 - 40 seconds. More exciting. More scary. Paced better.
Create a Facebook page, Twitter page, Youtube page, Vimeo page, Instagram page, and website for the film. Show it on each site. Spread it around. Go to as many people as possible. PM people. Follow people. Tweet to people. Send stuff out. If your budget allows it, film festivals.

Then you can earn money from your film by putting it up on a site like IndieReign or Vimeo, both of which get can get you money. And/or get a Youtube Partnership then upload the film to Youtube.

The reason people succeed at crowd-funding and online film distribution sites is a good sized fan base/following and a strong trailer. You want to stand out from all of the other thousands of films being pumped out every year.

Good luck! :)

Back