How can I deal with this problem with my acting agent?

What you should ask is:

- Can they arrange a place for me to sleep?
- Is it possible to arrive at 10pm the day before the shoot? It is a 4 hour drive. (I didn't know until just now, but I like to be fresh on set.)

It is okay to be a little nervous, but there is no need to sabotage a production.

As for me complaining before about actors not showing up for me, I always knew that the actors lived in the same city as me, and I always told them what city I was shooting in right away. I also payed for their gas money and all.

Those are just details when the result is that someone is not showing up.
Remember how that felt?

Yes I remember how that felt. The people who didn't show up, I gave the location weeks in advance, and they lived in the same city, and knew the shoot was in the same city. I don't mean to sabotage the production, but I feel they are sabotaging me, by not letting me know anything till now.

In fact, I got a new script and everything changed now. Why did they change everything so soon before shooting? It just all seems very disorganized.

Do you think that next time I want to apply, I could come with my own contract as well, saying I need to know the locations further in advance, than this? Would that be fair? I know you are comparing it to people not showing up at mine, but with mine, I gave the locations to the actors, and they knew it was the same city, well in advance.

Last edited:
Dude. Call producer. Work it out. Done.

If I was producing a film and saw posts like this I'd wonder why the F you didn't just call me and stalled my production.

It is NOT normal for the producer not give the location of the city for two
whole months, and only give it two days before the shoot, without any
type of compromising. Everything THEY did was wrong. Everything YOU
did was right. You have every right to bail on them.

Don't.

Yes, it's going to be unsafe for you to drive at night on the icy winter
highways but DON'T bail on them. It's clear you want us, your fellow
filmmakers, to tell you to bail on them but as you can see none of us
are going to do that. Do this job you agreed to do even though THEY
did just about everything wrong. Do it well, hold your head up, rise
above their disorganization and show them YOU are the professional.

What a mess!! I totally wouldn't fly to another country but that is an easy excuse - tell them you don't have a passport and can't get one in time.

There is no real excuse for not driving after you agreed to do the part.
They screwed up not listing the location - but you screwed up agreeing to do something without knowing what city it was in.

Now you know in the future, don't agree to something unless you know the city.
Good experience and now you're that much wiser.

You might want to consider getting another agent. That's something for you to think about and decide.

If they are not covering your travel and lodging expenses then, in my opinion, you would've be well within your rights to remove yourself from the project. In the UK, that would be against voluntary employment law (presuming you're not being paid). If they have failed to provide you with the relevant information – or your agent has failed to relay it – then that is their problem. They don't sound like a very professional outfit.

Which brings me to my second point: these people sound like disorganised amateurs, and even if they're not, I'd hardly worry too much about being blackballed. I've had many people flake on me over the years and I've never had any means of blackballing them, even though I'm fairly involved with the indie filmmaking scene in London. Yes, if someone brought them up I'd probably mention that they bailed on my production, but I wouldn't/couldn't go out of my way to do so. I think at the low-budget/indie level, getting blackballed is a bit of a myth. And it's a dangerous myth if it persuades people that they are somehow obligated to get involved in bad or inappropriate projects, just for fear that they won't work again. This project sounds like a bit of a shocker and, in my opinion, unless they are willing to arrange transport for you and put you up in their city for the duration of the shoot, you should probably drop out.

I think Rik offers good advice and a good line in sucking it up and being a better professional than them. But (perhaps for the sake of others reading this who find themselves in similar positions) I think it's important to reinforce that your employer has obligations to you. Simply saying that you'll work for someone doesn't mean that they can ride roughshod over the law and/or basic decency. I think that, if this question had been asked by someone other than h44, they might have received a slightly different answer. Just as you should be providing a suitable work environment for your actors when you're producing (as 1000s of words have been expended trying to persuade you to do), you should also expect a suitable environment from producers when you are acting.

Last edited:
It went good, they were willing to accommodate me more, once they found out I was in a different city, so it's all good.

I wanted to learn more about how they budget their movie, and I got the same answers I got from before, when it came to the feature I helped out on last year.

When I ask filmmakers for any advice on how they budget their movies, they answer is the same. They say that they are not allowed to talk about it. I would love to know where they get all the money from, but they don't really say, and was wondering, if there is anything I can do to find out, or talk them into wanting to give advice about it.

Somethings wrong here. I just got cast in The Last Champion and I knew before hand I would be shooting in Washington. Before I even read my sides I know what is up. This is what I get for all my auditions. The last line has location.

PROJECT INFORMATION
AMERICAN CRIME, Episode #306
Episodic
One Hour Drama
ABC
SAG-*AFTRA
Draft: July 2, 2016
Executive Producers:
Director:
Writer:
Casting Director:
Casting Associate:
Casting Assistant:
Shoot Dates: 11/15 - 11/28

I'm sure something did go wrong, but it was cleared up in the end it appears.

It's cleared up now, and I had new accomodations that helped. However, I inadvertently made the agent look bad I think, because the agent didn't follow up on where the movie was being shot, so I automatically assumed it was my city.

This may have made the agent look bad, not sure. But it's okay I guess, as there are other opportunities, and other fish in the sea, in the future.

Back