• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Flash My old new movie.

Hey peeps, I've had this movie sitting around for a while and i thought I would finally post it. It was like my second movie that I DP. Sorry it's a huge file, if you want you can just go straight to the link here. FLASH

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see it but I can't hear it. It looks good visually (loved the over Vegas aerial stuff, did you use your news chopper?).

Poke

Must have missed it when first posted :)

You had some interesting shots in there. The reflection off the chrome bumper one was especially good.

I really liked the shot of the burglar as he sneaks up... nice angle and the slo-mo'ish speed was pretty effective.

When the fellas first come out of the house at the beginning, I think you could have used more re-takes from different angles. You did do this a bit later, when they are almost ready to hop in the car. That sequence worked a lot better.

I think the first (slow-moving) set of memory-stills went on a bit too long. Was happier when the images went into rapid-mode. I think that sequence would have been just as effective in half the time.

It looked like you weren't using a tripod in some of the opening parts, where a steady shot would have been needed. It wasn't moving too much... maybe it was just windy, buffing the camera a bit. The bits where you were moving with the camera seemed good and worked smoothly.

Didn't really care for what happened at the end... it wasn't particulary bad, but I think that that particular ending has been cliche for a long time now. I'm guilty of using it, too :blush:

______

By the way, you weren't kidding about massive file! :eek:

Something to consider... the QT embedder (but not the WMV one) automatically starts downloading the .mov file on page load/reload. Even if the file is in the browser cache, the browser still checks for proper filesize and integrity... even if not re-downloading.

That check happens when people hit "Reply To Thread" as well... meaning anyone possibly trying to reply will have a spinning harddrive (mine was 20 secs, and this comp is pretty fast) and a delay as the page pops up. On slower computers it may take longer, and look like it's hanging. (That IE, anyway)

_______

Anyways, overall was pretty good short, Dennis :)

Thanks guys, ya sorry for the file size I just wanted it to look clean. Hey Pole i don't know why the audio didn't work I haven't had that problem maybe it's your codec. And yes that was my chopper from the station.

Okay, I figured it out. My wife was listening to Britney Spears in here yesterday (No, I'm not married to a ten year old) and messed with the volume.

Another side effect of that was that while I was watching your film, I had a website minimized that unbeknownst to me was playing music. So the whole film I was like, this music doe not go with this movie. I'm a friggin' idiot!

Anyway, after figuring that out, I watched it again. Good stuff. I like the bumper shot Zen mentioned, and overall it was shot well. The real music was a bit overly dramatic, but it was okay. Overall a good short. Well done on that camera work!

Poke

Poke said:
My wife was listening to Britney Spears

Suuuuure it was your wife with the Britney album :rolleyes:

_______

So what's this about a news-chopper, Vegas? You ever get to add footage to "Cops" episodes, or take stock footage for all those Vegas-centered tv shows?

Ah, thanks Poke ;)

The section where you flip through the pictures really fast, I'd cut that down time wise. Ran on a bit longer than I needed. What happend to the sound? Music was wonderful, camera angles and actors, and that bumper shot was nothing short of awesome. Nice job Vegas.

I like the film Vegas. The
Gunman looked a little like Eminem

damn.. right in the middle of my post IE shuts down and yet it posted :lol:

anyways, Do you work for a news crew or did you rent a copter or what happen? Also is that really you with Steven Tyler or did you photochop or is that even him.

Cool ending. did you use FCP or Vegas there Vegas :P

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP THAT'S A HUGE FILE! lol It serves to the image quality though, so no harm done.

Ummm, just a few things that I would like to have seen done differently. We never get to actually meet his pregnant wife nor anybody else from his family. All we see is what appears to be just a superficial night out with his buddies. There's no real hook to get us emotionally involved in the things that this guy will be losing.

His life flashing before his eyes part with all the photos went on way too long, as an audience we really don't have to see too much to understand what's about to happen. It was effective at first, but then it drags on a bit and the intensity of the killing loses its steam. Plus, the photos should have been cropped so they all be the same size or get smaller and smaller or bigger and bigger up to the killing. The rapid flashes of pictures was just a pain to look at really. I would have also liked to have seen the mugging in various shots and not from just one profile shot.

I did like the bumper shot, and the sound you were able to get in an uncontrolled setting such as the parking lot of the restaurant was surprisingly good quality. Well done in that department.

But the only big error is really just in the storytelling. There's not much of a setup and the payoff is quite cold and forgettable.

I hope the advice in my and the other postings help you towards your next film.

Sweet guys thanks, I agree with the story unfortantly i didn't write it, i just helped my friend shoot it, he did the rest, editing music all that fun stuff. But overall I don't think he did that bad of a job for his first movie. So i figured I would post it, and for the people that are having a cow on file size, sorry I'm all about quality just wait a little longer, it's a movie it's worth the wait. And sorry Poke I just love the file embed feature it's cool. I will make sure next time I link it or make it smaller.

For the news chopper, we don't get the hook up so much my friend just pulled that from some stock footage, he works with me at channel 3 NBC Las Vegas. I can ask and they may hook me up but people are not very helpful at times. Well guys thanks for the comments, just stand by for the film i'm trying to get my friend to post it rocks.

Vegas. As much as some people might hate wmv or anything related to MicroNaziSoft I can tell you that for 188 megs I could have got a cleaner audio and maybe half the data size using it. I have made videos like that (that length) nearly full 720x480 using a higher audio stream and a cleaner compression in vegas video.

what I like to do is chop 720 to 3/4 its size instead of half, Now mpeg I dont think will do it. and some people like to use that crappy DivX but I found that a codec called JMPEG (or something like that .. its in my list) will then convert nicely over to wmv. Some people i have talked to are shocked I got a wmv file to look that clean.

it would have come out about 90-100 megs in file size. Mov files in my opinion arent the cleanest for streaming although the standard might say it is. then again Im not a professional but i can tell you i was hearing that weird tickling sound you get with low audio stream. Im sure they have a technical name for it but it sounds little bells on a christmas display. Thats the thing that annoyed me the most. and to critique it, yes it seemed more like a trailer then a movie because we dont know anything about the characters.

But good editing for your first film... Thumbs Up! :)

I like how his "close friends" included Steven Tyler and Mark McGrath, haha. Great film, and especially good DPing on your part, I must say. Great job!

I also agree about Windows Media...it's way better and simpler...but I didn't have a problem with the download, so it's all good.

Back