In need of advice -

Hello all,

I am in need of some knowledgable advice. My plans for the future have taken an unexpected turn. Basically, I did not get into the school I wanted to for cinema and the only other schools I was accepted were terrible or too expensive evn with scholarship money.
To make a long story short - I was wondering what advice you could offer as to what my next move should be. I am positive I want to do work in this industry and was wondering if I should inter with an organization - work and go freelance, or what. I am confused and would enjoy any feedback/personal experience you can share.
Cheers!!
-Miles

I am not a professional videographer/photographer but some that I know cater services on wedding/bday events. They get paid for it.

How's that?

Volunteer as a PA on a film shoot to get your hands dirty. You'll very quickly figure out from there what you want to do and the direction you want to head in.

Thanks GA -
where exactly could I find such a shoot and do you mean local shoots?

Yep, local shoots by newbies . . . there's no better way to learn than by watching other people make mistakes with someone else's money . . .

If you're lucky enough, you might be able to hook up with a bigger production -- to find these, start with the state film and video offices in the area near you.

As for the local low budget shoots, craigslist is a good place to look. Don't commit yourself to more than a day or two until you've seen these people in action.

Good luck!

Back