How important is prop accuracy in this case to audiences?

I was going to order some of those guns that shoot compressed gas, that gives visual cues and recoil, so the actors don't have to simulate the recoil themselves, less convincingly.

Since a lot of this stuff has to be ordered I figured I better do it now, since my goal is to make a feature in the next two or three years, and don't want to rely on several things to come in on time. However I am not sure which script I will do but hopefully a thriller. Here's my question though.

Let's say I order some semi-automatic style police rifles (for a script I wrote which I may do). But then in the future I found a script that called for police in close quarters combat. The cops would typically be using shotguns and submachine guns in those situations. But what if I did not have the shotguns, and used my money on other things... If the cops brought rifles to a shotgun fight for example, or something like this, would audiences care or pick up on those things?

Last edited:
Probably not.

Most audiences seem satisfied with pistol fire sounding like cannons and M16/AK47/MP5s sounding like anti-aircraft guns, racking slides incessantly and pumping automatic shotguns, and of course Desert Eagle is the only manufacturer of .500cal pistols, so...

Just do your homework on the correct weapons for whatever law enforcement agency you're writing for and purchase the appropriate replica firearm.

We live in a world of HD where people are looking at the details.

Unless you are making a film with a zanny style like Dr. Who makes machines with mops and buckets, details do matter.

Also, it depends on the time period. Before terrorist became a big concern, most cops only brough .38 caliber pistols to a gun fight. Clint Eastwood brought an awareness to that carrying a .44 Magnum because he liked to hit what he was shooting at.

Style is a part of it.

Last edited:
Hell, people still have cars blowing up. Don't watch much in the way of action movies so I don't know if it's still the case, but it certainly is on TV. The audience does not care, for the most part, and if they do, they usually giggle.

Short of cops wielding crossbows, I think you'd be fine. And if the cops WERE wielding crossbows, it'd be kinda awesome! (hint: don't do that unless you are aware of it being a joke)

Probably not.

Most audiences seem satisfied with pistol fire sounding like cannons and M16/AK47/MP5s sounding like anti-aircraft guns, racking slides incessantly and pumping automatic shotguns, and of course Desert Eagle is the only manufacturer of .500cal pistols, so...

Just do your homework on the correct weapons for whatever law enforcement agency you're writing for and purchase the appropriate replica firearm.

Thanks, I've done a lot of research on it, and asked people in law enforcement, but would like to start ordering now, so I don't have to deal with it not coming in on time later. It's just now I don't know what script I'll be doing later. Another good example was the revolver one. If I order a bunch or revolvers when cops carry automatics, would that be of concern too? But if audiences aren't bothered by it, then I can just order some rifles and revolvers now, and use them later for what thriller script turns out to be the best to do.

My friends said that most people would probably want accuracy more in an indie production, compared to a big budget Hollywood one, where things tend to be a bit more over the top, if that applies in this case.

Last edited:
harmonica, while I appreciate your desire to get the details right in your films, I think you have a tendency to over-analyze a LOT of things that aren't that big of a deal. You're going to drive yourself nuts continually worrying about the miniscule details. Save such worries for when you have a million dollar budget. For now, worry about telling a good story...

That being said, Robert Rodriguez used rubber guns for the big church shoot out in Once Upon a Time In Mexico. Their real guns hadn't made it through customs yet, and he wanted to get the scene shot. So they used the rubber guns and added the sound, muzzle flashes, and falling shell cases in post. No one can tell, nor do they care...

TC you're already thinking of a feature?

I'm rather curious watching your finished short. When do you think you will upload it to Youtube or Vimeo?

A lot of stuff will need to be ordered for a feature, but it doesn't take 2-3 years to ship. Everything I order from Amazon get's here in two days with free shipping.

If you're concerned about prop accuracy, save your money for when you know what you're doing.

No modern law enforcement officer carries a five round wheel-gun to a 10-30 round semi-automatic gunfight.

No revolvers.

Likely a Glock or a Sig Sauer.

No modern law enforcement officer carries a five round wheel-gun to a 10-30 round semi-automatic gunfight.

Serpico did!

Serpico-sw19a.jpg

And he was BAD ASS!!!!

A lot of stuff will need to be ordered for a feature, but it doesn't take 2-3 years to ship. Everything I order from Amazon get's here in two days with free shipping.

If you're concerned about prop accuracy, save your money for when you know what you're doing.

definitely this.

Who knows, once your idea starts getting a little more solid maybe you'll meet some people who can lend you some of that equipment too.

Serpico did!

EXACTLY!!!!!!

"Francesco Vincent Serpico... is a retired American New York City Police Department (NYPD) officer who is most famous for testifying against police corruption in 1971."

That was four effing decades ago.
One hop away from half a century ago. :lol:

Originally Posted by rayw

Maybe he can get some more '70s props, too!

State of the art TV -
1970tv.jpg

iPhone equivalent -
1970stereo.jpg

Avocado green was HOTTTT for iPhones -
TDKQP7PLMGDVA5C.JPG

Back