• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Purchasing a script VS. Writing your own.

I was wondering what is better when it comes to making a movie for a lesser amount of money. If you write your own script, you will need a writing consultant or a script doctor to rework it after, and make everything work, but also to make it a better read for most moviegoers tastes. The cost of that can add up to a lot because those script doctors are not cheap at all.

But purchasing your own script can be quite expensive as well, depending on what scripts you have access to, that you can afford.

So I am wondering what the best option is, and what your thoughts are. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it :).

Man... I remember a guy came to the forum once with like five scripts. Posted all of them for us to read... one was called "I Swear, Inc". I wanted that script so badly, it fit perfectly with my style. It had strong meta. (They are shorts, I make them for people that appreciate the meta, fuck auteurs <3 )

I remember exchanging a few emails, someone else outbid me on it. They paid 200.

Is 200 dollars a lot? No. I spend at least 350ish on shorts, plus catering for crew. 200 for an indie short script? Meh.

You need to find a writer who will sell it to you cheap, but you also have to find work from a writer that calls to you. His other 4 scripts bore the shit out of me. I wouldn't have given him a dollar to shoot those.

--------------------

Overall though, I don't think you have writer material in you H44. Honestly, none. Why should a filmmaker try to be something they're not? Not everyone is as good a writer or director as they think they are. Buy a script that speaks to you. SHOOT IT ASAP!

--------------------

Didn't one of the New Zealand or Aussie members once offer for you to fly out there and make something of significant value with them? So that you could learn from someone with experience, and you ignored it?

I recommended it. I still would recommend it.

----------------------

Bottom line I think you've spent too much time in threads talking about what ifs. Don't have people who want to work on stuff with you? Pay em'. Go to film school. DO SOMETHING.

tell me what kind of moron would write a script for 200 dollars? still waiting on those amazing indie projects list bud

tell me what kind of moron would write a script for 200 dollars? still waiting on those amazing indie projects list bud

O-o I feel like you don't know many no-name screenwriters. The dude had four scripts, all were under 15 pages. If he sold each one at 200$ then he made 800$ from less than 60 pages.

A no-name writer just made 800$ on four SHORTS. That's an accomplishment. Chances are slim one of those four shorts will be produced and turn out great. If they do, his credits just got a boost.

He can now do the same, except sell them higher, perhaps as an indie award winning writer. All the while he's improving his craft by writing shorts and making money.

------------------------

Have YOU made 200$ profit in the film industry?

------------------------

Honestly, David, I don't like you. You're arrogant and think you're right about everything, there is no reason in helping you.

As I said in your thread, I'm not commenting on it anymore. Good luck with your Kickstarter dude, I couldn't care less what happens to you at this point.

Last edited:
I think the problem is is that a lot of people are not interested in doing shorts.

What are you talking about WILLIS?

First to your original question: You have to calculate, like everything in life, time versus quality. You could redo your kitchen or you could hire someone to do it for you. I'm sure you could go on YouTube and learn everything and then do it yourself. Your kitchen will look like crap...maybe. Maybe not. Either way, will you be proud of it?

Back