Movie plot holes. anyone?

movies i have been confused and can't seem to find any answers online

1. Saw

I only liked the first saw, and i stoped watching after the 2nd. But a friend and I were talking about the first one and were wondering why the hell did jigsaw target "zep" (the hell kind of name is that anyways)
I mean Zep seemed to think Jigsaw the pretty cool. Further more why even play jigsaw's game? yes, zep did have poisoin in his system thanks to jigsaw but why not just go to the E.R. and be like "uh i got some poison in me, help"

Just so I understand: Are you asking what is the motivation of an insane killer
in a movie?

As far as the plot of the movie goes, Zep (a very cool name) was an orderly
in Gordon's hospital so he has a direct connection with him. Another victim
of the game.

The Ring has a videotape (a videotape ffs!) that curses people that watch it. Despite having one of the dumbest premises in horror movie history it's actually a really creepy, disturbing film.

I try not to analyse the stuff I watch too deeply because hey - it's all fantasy. But in my own writing I find it impossible to use such conceits - they're just too stupid to live in my work. Sometimes I wish I was more of a hack :)

that's weird you mention the ring because i was gonna post something about that in the original subject but then it turned out to be nothing.

but yeah, the ring is weird and for some reason I like it. ring 2 sucked, some of the shots in the ring are sick the horses the tree on fire. I was always drawn to the shot of that small flash back when Rachele is at her nieces wake and right when she puts her hand on the railing you see that small like 3 sec flash back insert of her nieces running up the stairs but you only see her feet, go up. such a weird creepy shot.

So many weird shots. that song of the lil girl is a catchy tune the piano score of it is a good melody. and everything in the movie is always wet. the girl dies in a well. there are a lot of scenes where it;s raining. the horse even dies in the water. even if it's not raining it still looks overcast and I always thought that was a very clever of them.

yeah, the ring was good. differnt type of movie. I'd say the closets would be "Pules" ? maybe but i can't think of another. I never thought there should of been a ring 2 and I still haven't seen the original.

" MY WAS WAS NEVER SPOSTA HAVE A CHILD!!!"

lol. my bad, got caught up on the ring. As far as the Saw question. Zep and Jigsaw seemed tight. not sure why jigg would do that to him. but maybe he knew zep wasn't exactly innocent, I mean he was killing to kill a mom and her daughter.
and yes zep is a great name

not sure why jigg would do that to him

i only ever "saw" the first movie, but i don't remember the part that explained why he did any of it at all, so I felt like the first movie wasn't meant to be THAT literal - Jigsaw seemed more like a Deus Ex Machina to tell a morality tale and the movie was more about the victims and their flaws- he could have been anyone in the end with any motivation and it wouldn't really matter because the story was about how the victims dealt with the situation and who they really were, as opposed to the antagonist himself and his motivation- it could happen to anyone, anywhere kind of thing.... that was what made it unique/interesting for me... I like it better when horror movies DONT explain things.

it's been years though, so my memory is foggy... and I never watched the sequels. I only think I liked the film because of the unique scope and the originality.

Now the one I REALLY wanna see: It Follows. Check that one out!

I think Saw has some of the biggest plot holes I have ever seen in a thriller in a while, and bigger than the Zep one. For example, why did Jigsaw make it so that the tape recorder was had to be reached by a belt? And why make it so that the tapes were in envelopes instead of in the taperecorder to begin with?

If you want someone to kill someone else as part of your evil plan, why just have the tape in the recorder, ready to go, next to the person when he wakes up? Or since Jigsaw planned on being there the whole time, he could have just talked to them on a walkie talkie or phone even.

And why make it so the gun and the bullet were a real challenge to find? Why not just have the bullet in the gun, ready to go? Again if you have a murderously even plan, why waste time?

Jigsaw did not waste time for the other victims and already had everything ready to go, but for some reason, when it came to the remaining two, he decided to drag everything out because the script did not have enough logical plot to last for two hours it seems, so they had to throw holes in like that. But that is just my opinion of it, and there are more holes than the Zep one.

As far as Jigsaw being a deux ex machina, in order to give depth to the protagonist's flaws, I feel that a good antagonist can be just as important.

I feel that a good antagonist can be just as important.

Agreed, but a good antagonist could be the environment (ie. cube, 128 hours), it doesn't always have to turn out to be Matt Damon.

Here are some of the most obvious plot holes (I feel) in some very popular movies. I wonder how the makers didn't think of it in the first place.

1. Toy Story - Like a playground Fight Club, there are certain rules to being a toy. The first rule is that you do not let the humans find out that you're a sentient being. At the beginning of the Pixar classic, Buzz Lightyear is convinced he is a real space ranger and has no knowledge of his humble plastic origins. So why then does he freeze and play dead with the rest of the toys, as soon as Andy enters the room?

2. Gremlins - Festive favorite Gremlins tells the tale of exotic pet care gone wrong - and not feeding the Mogwais after midnight is one of the many criteria for keeping them as pets. But isn't it technically always after midnight? When's the cut-off point?

3. The Matrix - In order to enter/exit the digital realm of The Matrix one must receive a telephone call from an 'operator', a person calling from the real world. When the dastardly Cypher decides to rat his friends out to the bad guys however, he travels to The Matrix to sell information. So who calls him in and out? Who's his 'operator'?

4. The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Chaos ensues as an abandoned trawler bearing an angry, captured T. Rex sails into an unsuspecting shipping port. Bizarrely though, the dinosaur is locked away in the ship's cargo hold - yet the crew are already dead. So, who killed them?

I remember that one of the most weirdly antagonistic Q&A sessions I've attended at a film festival was because of a major plot hole.

This indie movie was going pretty good, but at the two thirds mark there was something that happened that effected the entire plot, but was objectively not reasonable. I know that it kept me out of the film for almost the rest of the running time, trying to figure out if there was something I missed.

The very first question during the Q&A was about this plot hole. (Well, I thought, at least I'm not alone.) The director and the writer both sort of shrugged it off with an answer that was almost like a politician would give - they rephrased the question into something they wanted to talk about and then answered THAT question. However, the very next question. from a DIFFERENT audience member, was about this plot hole as well. Amazingly, again they tried to deflect.

The third audience member asked point blank: "So did you even realize as you wrote it, or as you were making it, that this was problem, or did you only realize it after it was made?" They answered" "Well, I don't see it as a problem."

And that's when a fourth audience member chimed in: "Well it obviously is, because we're all asking about it."

The director and writer then got defensive saying that it is a "story and a movie " and "we were trying to do something different and a little experiemental."

Audience members pointed out that nothing about their ensemble, indie thriller/comedy seemed "experimental or avante garde." The whole thing got really uncomfortable and I was actually happy when the moderator said, "Well, we're going to need the theater for the next movie, so I guess we'll have to end it there."

I always think about this event. I realized something while watching it unfold. If this had just been a bad movie all around, the audience probably would have just shuffled out before the Q&A, and nobody would have cared.

However, because the movie was actually pretty good, and we were all invested in the plot and the characters, this lapse in logic and structure kind of pissed people off more than it would have it was in a crappy movie.

Last edited:
3. The Matrix - In order to enter/exit the digital realm of The Matrix one must receive a telephone call from an 'operator', a person calling from the real world. When the dastardly Cypher decides to rat his friends out to the bad guys however, he travels to The Matrix to sell information. So who calls him in and out? Who's his 'operator'?

Hmm.. Interesting. Never really looked at that as a hole, so much as an ellipsis. I always thought we were to assume his "operator" at that point would be the security constructs (Hugo Weaving and company) and that his in/out points were handled by the software with whom he was colluding.

On the other hand, I can see how this would be considered a "hole." Because if the security constructs were able to act as operators in this fashion, wouldn't that give them unfettered access to the "operator" process and thus a way to find the ship and the human underground colony?

Of course -
if the whole thing is just an organized "revolution" to complete a cycle used to control a population that would otherwise revolt anyway (as explained in the later films) then Cypher was just playing the role he was meant to play in the process, and the mechanics of it were built into the design of the revolt.

In that sense, I suppose it could be considered a hole in the context of the single film,
which is then indirectly addressed in the reveal in later films that the whole "Finding the One" was built into the system by the machines in the first place.

Added the spoiler tags just in case there are still readers who haven't seen the whole trilogy.

Back