• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Draft" - an interesting new writing tool

Just came across this today - haven't spent a lot of time writing with it, but I see a lot of potential for applications to screenwriting:

https://draftin.com/

It's basically a writing tool based on the kind of features that are most typically found in code versioning tools like Git (I suspect it's actually using git as part of it's back end). So you can write and edit with full history tracking, but more importantly you can have people edit, contribute to or collaborate on a document and then perform merges in a diff mode where you can accept or reject individual changes.

It doesn't specifically have screenplay features yet, but it supports Markdown, which is a popular simple markup standard for specifying formatting in a human-readable plain text format. I actually use an extension of the Markdown syntax called Fountain when I write which specifically addresses the needs of screenwriters, so it should be fairly easy for the developer to extend Draft to accommodate screenplays in the future.

There are a ton of other interesting features that I see a lot of potential for in the screenwriting realm - for instance it has an API which could be leveraged to build something like a system that automatically sends new drafts to your cast and crew as revisions are made. It also does a lot of statistical analysis for you on your writing, so you can track things like words per day, most productive times of the day for writing, etc.

Anyway, at this point it's something I see potential in rather than a full solution for screenwriting, but I thought it might be of interest to anyone interested in writing.

Back