Filming in dark environments - Which camera? (as cheap as possible)

Hi!
I am going to buy a new camera, and I've found alot of good ones, but none of them seems to film any good when it's dark. Since I live in Sweden I want a camera that can film in dark environments. example when me and my friends ski.
I am also doing short films so I want it to film in HD and have lots of manual controls. (Focus, iris and so on) But it doesn't need to have a extra mic input.

Budget: No exactly, but as cheap as possible ( Im 18 years old and study)

I would be happy if anyone could give me some tips.

Sorry if there is a tread like this but the search button doesn't work for me and sorry for my bad English :D

//nson

Edit: I have been looking at Panasonic HDC-SD9 - but when it becomes dark, it seems to suck.

Last edited:
hi nson,

i am english and my english sucks.. :)

as for shooting in the dark...any camera is going to suck...they need light..even if you want to shoot a dark scene...sometime you need a lot of light to make dark...u need to have a hard Key Light and then StopDown to make the background go dark and still have your actor lit..

but shooting your friends outside in the dark with no lights??? well this is truely something that may never work out for you...cameras need light and dont adjust the way our eyes do...

sorry

there are some Low Light Digital cameras out there...but they will come with a hefty price...and will most likely be too big for what you want to do....

but not being up on all the newer cameras...maybe someone knows of one that will be better than others that can help you more...

never give up....

but shooting your friends outside in the dark with no lights??? well this is truely something that may never work out for you...cameras need light and dont adjust the way our eyes do...

Oh. I forgot to type that we've got many lights, but there will always be parts that doesn't get as much light as another. Therefore I don't want the camera to totally suck at darker scenes. Does anyone have any information about the Panasonic HDC-SD9 - recording in some darker environment.

Thanks for reply so fast, thought. and thanks for info

/nson

I know the Sony Z7u is the current best minidv HD 1080p camcorder for lowlight currently on the market, and it is loaded with many controls. It's also not very big, in fact, it's right around the size of a vx2100...

I know the Sony Z7u is the current best minidv HD 1080p camcorder for lowlight currently on the market, and it is loaded with many controls. It's also not very big, in fact, it's right around the size of a vx2100...

Thanks, but that camera is way to expensive for me, thought.
But is that price "normal" if you want a good camera that can film in darker environments? And I mean not in a complete dark environment - no, no. I mean a dark and maybe recording the sun, or light. I've seen some clips of the HDC SD9 filming firework in dark - http://vimeo.com/1286508
That really annoys me, but with 3CCD that's maybe something that you can't get away from.

Back