GUNS IN FILMS - PLZ HELP!

Hi all! I just started recently writing a script for a modern zombie like genre movie. I want to make it very heavy in gun and stuff. I had some friends talk about blank firing guns and how they edit in gun action scenes. They said that these are safe too. I found a website www.blankgunstore.com and some of the stuff they have is pretty realistic. Does anyone have experience with these types of props / editing? Currently using Sony Vegas Pro.

You can do the muzzle flash and sounds entirely in post production.
Easy with something like HitFilm but possible in pretty much any editor

I wouldn't mess with blank guns unless you have a professional armorer on set to handle them, as well as the requisite permits & insurance. People have been killed by blanks - Brandon Lee being the most famous - and they need to be handled no differently than a real firearm.

As other's have noted you can likely do most of what you need in post, using airsoft guns on set for the props. Even then I'd advise extreme caution - I've personally been nearly shot by the police when using a painted squirt gun as a prop.

But I still don't understand. If you use airsoft guns, everyone will see the orange tip and know that they're fake, which is good for everyone on set, cops, and passersby. But so will your audience. How is that good?

Last edited:
"But I still don't understand. If you use airsoft guns, everyone will see the orange tip "

paint2.jpg

"But I still don't understand. If you use airsoft guns, everyone will see the orange tip "

paint2.jpg

If that's what you guys do, cool. Very important to know that. But doesn't that defeat the purpose? Aren't you suppose to leave the orange tip on so that the police (or gun enthusiasts) don't shoot you, etc?

Or is that what we DIYers do?

Seriously, I don't think it's because I'm so dense (which, okay, I am, but...), but because there have been mixed messages and advice on various threads on guns on the set.

Is that the consensus? Get airsoft or other fake guns so that you're not using real guns...but, yes, go ahead and paint that blaze orange tip?

Guns must look real for the film!!

The only advice I keep hearing is to alert the police when having them out in public.

Airsoft is only for safety and to put people at ease. Even if it's empty people don't like real guns being pointed at them.

Go for the airsoft guns and paint the tips black, but contact the police to let them know that you are shooting a film with FAKE guns. You may want to contact residents and businesses within viewing distance of where you are shooting to let them know that you will be shooting a scene with FAKE guns. Yes, a passer by with a cell phone could call 911, but do your best to make people aware of the situation. Finally, you must treat any gun, fake or not, as if it is a real gun. Assign a specific person to handle your prop guns and only they touch them until they are used for a rehearsal and finally the actual shots. I've seen plenty of sets where half the cast and crew are waving the prop guns around. You are just asking for trouble when doing this.

Scott

Airsofts are your best bet. We usually just use permanent markers over the tips. They do eventually come off but at least you can prove they are airsofts. Of course, it's illegal, but we usually use them in doors or at enclosed areas. We haven't had problems with them so far. You can usually get away with it if you have other film equipment with you, with the tripod being the most important factor. If people see that, then they're less likely to call the police on you.

Airsofts are your best bet. We usually just use permanent markers over the tips. They do eventually come off but at least you can prove they are airsofts. Of course, it's illegal, but we usually use them in doors or at enclosed areas.
What is illegal?

That's a real question, not asked in irony. For instance, people will say things like "Taking my picture is illegal" and it's not at all illegal... so I'm asking what, exactly, is illegal about what you said?

edit: some cursory searches show there's no federal law, as I expected. Looks like there are some local areas, e.g. New York that make removing the orange tip illegal.

I guess I object to the "of course it's illegal" part, because it's not at all obvious. To me, it's as illegal as removing the pictures that came with the wallet I bought. But apparently, some places have some need to control your personal property, even when used in a lawful manner.

Last edited:
I have many decades of firearm experience, but I would still want a weapon master on set to double check me when we were using firearms. However, my focus is drama and cheesy guns are not going to fly. I have an Airsoft M1898 Mauser I used for a World War II clip, I just removed the orange cap. Would be fine for long and medium range, but for up close shots it has cheesy written all over it.

I have a couple of scenes I'm planning where a revolver is used (to show the gun is loaded) and the ammo is visible in the cylinder for close-ups, and we ordered some replica ammunition ($15 bucks for 6 rounds) that fits in a real revolver then made it double safe by dropped a wooden dowl down the barrel (after the actress cocks it while pointed safely away from herself) so the cylinder can't advance.

Gotta be careful, but you also have to deliver the goods. Guns put asses in seats, as they say.

Back