• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

$$$. Seen it before, but not this transparent...

Okay. You have a great script? Ready to sell? Don't want to pay entrant fees? Want transparency? Want to see some big cash money for prizes?

I do. I did. So, I signed on to Amazon Studios five weeks ago.

My goal was to put a new polished script every month on the 24th (5-6 days before award deadline). To date I have two polished scripts up and available for perusal, (please feel free to give my words a read).

The high and the low -- the scripts are transparent, everyone can read what is in the competition. Everyone can review the scripts. Everyone can read the reviews. Nice. I have had my scripts read 40+ times, with several reviews, (writers swap), just as I have reviewed the scripts of others.

I have found honesty, quality insight in some of the reviews. While in others, there is not. Keep in mind, many vie for cash awards and will lower their honesty, standards if they think it might benefit them. But. Being transparent -- you can spot the frauds a mile away. I have several reviews from that ilk.

The potential gain if just one or two major studios takes an interest! Amazon does offer big dollars with sales!
The cash awards are pretty good too.

What is not transparent is the jurying and judging process. I also do not like the idea of Amazon holding rights to a specific script for 18 months (you MUST read the contract and understand it). Visit the site. Like to know what other screenwriters on IndieTalk think? If you have the time... give one of my scripts a read and a comment, (either on Amazon or just by E-mail).
I am listed there as I am here. Don L. Patterson.

I looked into it, but the terms in their contract are so terrible that I'd rather have my screenplays sit in a drawer. Of course, other people have different opinions of it and for some it might be a great opportunity.

cameronchapman,

While the terms of contract are a bit rigid, definitely giving them control over the scripts on their site for 18 months... they do have people reading the script! The money guaranteed if one's script is sold, is better then WGA basic (I am not a member anyway)! The contest money also adds a little incentive. I have read about 20 scripts from others on AS, I feel my work is as good if not better then what I have read. So it comes down to premise, luck on who reads the script (how honest they are and how far or well they read the script) and yes, a lot of luck.

I have 28 polished scripts I have worked on since 1999. They have 'sat' in a drawer (on my hard drive) for many years collecting dust. Think I should let them see the light of day... even if it is a roll of the dice. Yes, this year i also put stuff in various other script competitions, like Final Draft's. But that can get expensive and there is very little transparency once the script is out the door.

I am biased but honest. I think my work is fresh, well written. I still subscribe to hope. I only need to get one script read by the right person(s) to start opening doors. It won't happen if my scripts are in a drawer.

I understand your point. If you have any better suggestions... I am all ears. Pitching, letter campaigns, cold phoning is not my cup of tea. Hey, I even made trailers based upon finished scripts... I would rather get as many polished scripts out there this year, then see what happens.

Let the writing do my talking. Hope it works, not getting any younger!

If this works for you then all your hope will pay off. Since the
traditional method of selling isn’t your cup of tea I hope this
works for you.

I, too, wouldn’t do this. Competitions aren’t my cup of tea.

Good luck on august 30!

directorik,

Thanks for the good luck.

Script writing competitions never sounded like they would be my cup of tea, either. But I have these scripts everyone around me thinks are very good. I haven't the money to put them on the screen (wish I did). Got to try something new. If nothing comes out of it. Hey. I gave it my best shot. Only ones that cost me were the Final Draft styled competitions (besides the copyright fees).

Didn't think much of art competitions, juried shows in the 1970's through early 80's either. In the late 1980''s I won a lot of cash and awards in national and regional juried fine art shows, sold even more work due to the wins as well. In 2002, on a whim I entered a couple of national video competitions, won them both, a Telly and a Jade (for music videos). LOL. I just don't have the cash to seek higher ground.

But script writing? All I've concentrated on for the past 10 years, trying to be the best I can be. Hey, you just never know. Maybe it's my turn to win the roll of the dice. Been here on IndieTalk.com since 2003, I come and go a lot -- don't make much of a splash. But if I do win, or my scripts do get picked up by someone due to kicking my children (scripts) out in 2011, I will let you all know. Laughing all the way to the bank. Of course, that's just positive thinking, right? I could never win...

Yep. It COULD happen. And maybe it is no different than rolling
dice. It’s more difficult when the traditional method (pitching,
queries, cold calling) isn’t your cup of tea. That’s how I have
made most of my sales. But then I don’t think of selling a script
as the roll of the dice. I feel I gotta push and push hard and
constantly. To me it isn’t a gamble but necessity.

Got my fingers crossed for you!

I would just advise people to make sure you read the Development Agreement, and not just the contest rules. The Development Agreement basically gives them rights to your script from the time you enter the contest for 18 months, regardless of whether you win or not. Plus another 18 months if they decide to officially option your script. And it even includes a waiver of moral rights (which basically means you're saying you have no claim to being credited for writing the script, etc.). You couldn't pay me enough to sign that agreement. I get the feeling that most people who enter don't bother to read the agreement, or don't understand it if they do.

It is, of course, every writer's wish to be picked up. I decided against Amazon's service a while back because of their contract. If someone wants control over my script for 18 months, s/he needs to option it from me.

At least with services like Inktip, you know they are proactively marketing your script to Hollywood agents/producers. It also tracks who reads my script. Yes, it costs a bit, but it's targeted. It is reassuring when I see major studios have reviewed my script rather than Thomas Axetogrind. Amazon is not transparent about its marketing services. It seems more wishful that someone important will even bother to read it. I've heard of success stories through Inktip. Amazon, not so much. But there is always that chance.

I have to agree with Directorik, I'm not a big fan of contests. Unless you have money to throw at your writing--and there are lots of people who will take it--I'd rather use it in a more targeted marketing strategy. Some companies don't like previously shared materials, so competitions can sometimes work against winners. I know a few winners who still haven't managed to have the 'award winning screenplay' be produced.

For those interested in the post/read/critique model, they might check out Triggerstreet or the Zoetrope Virtual Studio. Both are driven by Hollywood professionals.

Jumpstreet: www.triggerstreet.com (Kevin Spacey)
Zoetrope: www.zoetrope.com (Coppola experiment)

They are also free and without the harsh terms of the Amazon contract. While they do reserve first option rights, they don't extend it out quite so far.

Good luck.

FantasySciFi,

Thank you. I have 28 polished scripts (worked on over the past 11 years) waiting to leave home. Jumpstreet & Zoetrope will get some visitors in the next two weeks. IF any one else here on IndieTalk has any suggestions? I am all ears. While all are copyrighted, these scripts are just currently collecting dust.

I'm really rooting for you. I hope something good, if not awesome, comes from it. It sounds like some good advice has been given to be cautious about it or to not do it. On the other hand, like you said, you have 28 scripts collecting dust. Maybe you won't put all 28 of those scripts into contract with Amazon. So maybe putting a few or only some of them in at first won't hurt. I guess a question I have, and not having read the contract, is if you did win the grand prize, would you be happy with, or would you be able to live with the terms of that award, given some of the concerns expressed above?

Best of luck.

Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.

I was pretty concerned too about the giving up of rights for 18 months on AmazonStudios. I read the contract thoroughly. My wife (for 30 years) is a lawyer, she practices in criminal law, now also teaches law for several colleges. Nothing over trumps copyright law (Library of Congress). Stealing scripts is a no no -- very dangerous in and out of Hollywood (my wife knows a lot of good entertainment lawyers too).

Yes, I have 28 scripts. Many have gone through a read through. Been read and proofed by a large group of people (Librarians, Actors, Lawyers and many friends). Even video taped a few.

I am only going to put up 5 scripts on AmazonStudios. My hope is that they create an avalanche of interest. To win would be nice. Each month offers $160,000.00 in awards. At the end of the year there is a grand prize of 1,100,000.00. The money is also very good (better then minimum) if scripts are sold, if the movie makes over X amount of dollars one gets a very nice bonus and with any sequels, more $$$$ ...

Of course the scripts are all copyrighted, many are also registered with the WGA (I am not a member).

For Amazon Studios I am placing:
WILLIE (May)
THE SOUND OF NIGHTMARES (June)
DOWN (July)
THE MACHINE THAT CRIED (August)
KINGDOM OF THE CLOWNS (September)

I have placed other scripts like DEATH WALKS BEHIND YOU in competitions like First Draft's Big Break. I am going to place other scripts in new locations I am hearing about. It's all about finding that 'right' set of eyes...

Understand, I love writing. Most people think I am now very good at it. It does take a lot of time for me to do one script. But for me it is fun. Whether it be first draft or the twenty-second draft (many of these babies have been there). I love honest criticism. That's how I learn.

BOTTOM LINE - only need to get one of my scripts (children) in front of the right set of eyes. Hopefully, an avalanche of interest will follow, take place, for I have 28 quality scripts. I am optimistic, but not stupid.

Thanks for the wishes of good luck -- will keep all my IndieTalk friends up to date -- so they don't make the same mistakes I do (if they be mistakes).

By the way, anyone can read one of my scripts at AmazonStudios. They are up there free for the reading. I do recommend reading the most recent drafts. I had major problems of converting final draft to rtf which Amazon Studios requires. Also, it was interesting to read some of the reviews of my scripts. I saw everything from sincere interest to blatant dishonesty in their star system, (should expect such when money awards are involved). Funny when some give you five stars while others only one or two (their comments showing they did not read the script). I also had a blast reviewing the works of others. Networking and such.

Live and learn...

The money is also very good (better then minimum) if scripts are sold, if the movie makes over X amount of dollars one gets a very nice bonus and with any sequels, more $$$$ ...

You keep saying that it's more than WGA minimum, but unless I'm completely misreading the WGA compensation guidelines, it's less than half WGA minimum for the monthly prizes. WGA minimum for a low-budget (less than $5 million) film is just under $43,000 this year (it's over $87,000 for films with more than a $5 million budget). That's for the sale of an original, already-written screenplay. The Amazon monthly prize is $20,000. It's only if you won the annual prize that you'd make more than WGA minimum. Also, you get the bonus if it makes X amount of money, but it still amounts to a lot less than WGA residuals.

Sorry, I'm not trying to attack you on this, I'm just trying to make sure the information here is accurate. I do wish you good luck with the contest and I hope that something awesome comes of it for you!

cameronchapman,

Sorry to correct you. But you need to read the contracted agreement! Because you are clearly wrong. The PRIZE money for best script is 20,000.00. Several best script awards are given each month. Best dialogues fluctuate in award money offered monthly. The Juries are constantly changed as well. You have mistakenly mixed award money with purchase money.

FROM THE CONTRACT AGREEMENT:

A purchase price for any script is $200,000.00 -- look it up in the contract.

6.1. If, after exercising the Option, we commercially distribute a Full Length Movie in theatrical movie cinemas and it earns US$60,000,000 or more in domestic gross box office receipts as Reported in Daily Variety (or, if it is discontinued, a similar publication) during its initial theatrical release in the United States, we will pay you a one-time bonus of US$400,000.

6.2. If, after releasing a Full Length Movie, we start principal photography for a sequel, prequel, or spin-off Full Length Movie based on the Property, we will pay you a one-time fee of US$100,000.

6.3. If, after releasing a Full Length Movie, we produce an episodic television series based on the Property that is picked up and produced, we will pay you a one-time fee of US$5,000 per episode when the episode is first aired (including pilots).

The exclusive right to buy it (and its associated rights) during the 18 month term of the option, for $200,000 plus other possible bonuses. We can extend this option another 18 months by paying you $10,000.

UNDERSTAND -- many of the problems some may have with Amazon Studios contract and set up is if one goes for the open end on the script submitted. MINE are all CLOSED!

Also cameronchapman,

I am not a greedy man. Hey, if one or two of my scripts sell, I have a bunch more yet to offer (the demand will dictate the price). I plan to do a lot more writing over the next thirty years. Never had writers block.

cameronchapman,

Sorry to correct you. But you need to read the contracted agreement! Because you are clearly wrong. The PRIZE money for best script is 20,000.00. Several best script awards are given each month. Best dialogues fluctuate in award money offered monthly. The Juries are constantly changed as well. You have mistakenly mixed award money with purchase money.

FROM THE CONTRACT AGREEMENT:

A purchase price for any script is $200,000.00 -- look it up in the contract.

6.1. If, after exercising the Option, we commercially distribute a Full Length Movie in theatrical movie cinemas and it earns US$60,000,000 or more in domestic gross box office receipts as Reported in Daily Variety (or, if it is discontinued, a similar publication) during its initial theatrical release in the United States, we will pay you a one-time bonus of US$400,000.

6.2. If, after releasing a Full Length Movie, we start principal photography for a sequel, prequel, or spin-off Full Length Movie based on the Property, we will pay you a one-time fee of US$100,000.

6.3. If, after releasing a Full Length Movie, we produce an episodic television series based on the Property that is picked up and produced, we will pay you a one-time fee of US$5,000 per episode when the episode is first aired (including pilots).

The exclusive right to buy it (and its associated rights) during the 18 month term of the option, for $200,000 plus other possible bonuses. We can extend this option another 18 months by paying you $10,000.

UNDERSTAND -- many of the problems some may have with Amazon Studios contract and set up is if one goes for the open end on the script submitted. MINE are all CLOSED!

Sorry, I thought YOU were the one talking about the prize money.

$400,000 on $60 million? So you'd be making 1% of the gross IF the movie made $60 million in the initial theatrical release (so not counting foreign releases, DVD release, later TV airings, etc.). You never get paid a dime on residuals. You could write the next Avatar and you'd still only get $600k. And if your film makes $59 million, you only get $200k, which is about a third of a percent. It's only a good deal for the screenwriter if the film doesn't make much money.

And regardless of what the contract says about the option, etc., you're still granting them all sorts of rights before they pay you a cent. It basically says they can do whatever they want with your script with the exception of a novelization. Sure, you might say that's not the intention of the contract, but the intention isn't going to matter a bit if their investors decide they should be taking advantage of the rights they have.

cameronchapman,

LOL. Here we are, talking about my being cheated out of huge amounts of money, if one of my scripts should turn into an AVATAR like success. How realistic is that? I would love to see that. Man, I would love to see that! Please go read my script THE SOUNDS OF NIGHTMARES on Amazon Studios, then tell me it has a shot to bring in AVATAR like box office receipts... please?

It could happen. I think THE SOUNDS OF NIGHTMARES is every bit as good as AVATAR. Of course I am a tad biased. Still laughing out loud. If, that is a very big if, THE SOUNDS OF NIGHTMARES did hit the magic number at the box office, what do you think the market would do for another script by yours truely?

Man, oh man, I got 28 of these kick-ass scripts... but don't take my word for it -- give me a read!
Keep me worried about how much money I am not going to get...

I am not being sarcastic, cameronchapman, I understand what you are saying. I'm just not greedy, nor will I feel cheated, cause I write due to I love writing. I think it shows in what I do. And from where I am, everything looks up these days anyway...

Once again, for anyone that has an hour or two and wants to read the next AVATAR... it is called THE SOUND OF NIGHTMARES (shameless self-promotion)...

Don, I'm on there too - only stuck one old one up - as you say only gathering dust, not the type of fair to do well anyhow - lol!

BUT the main reason I'm there is to 'rewrite' others sp's - want at least a dozen up by year end, whether they win or not for me isn't the point. My tactic is to 'show' that I can write and thereby garner some interest that way.

As we all know, chances of getting your own stuff produced is very slim - normally a paid rewriting gig is the way into the 'show'. So this way - no cost but my time, allows me through the front door of a major studio - Warner Bros backed!

All the best Don, Jim.

Live, learn and I was wrong...

When I am wrong, there are usually consequences to be paid... in this case, I suffer the loss of two scripts for 18 months, maybe longer.

cameronchapman was right! I was wrong. Amazon Studios is a bad idea for script writers. Cameron, I am far from perfect, I live and learn. Now have to pay the price. Ouch.

I have two scripts on Amazon Studios. Public feedback is that both scripts are very good, 5 star (out of 5) on premise, well written, solid, identifiable characters with strong, believable dialogues. Yet, unlike the transparency of scripts for the public to read, (fellow AS script writers can also review openly), the two scripts couldn't make the list of finalists chosen behind closed doors at Amazon Studios when read by their AS hired 'readers' in private.

Yeah, I can hear many reading my comments and saying "sour grapes, dude" or maybe, "your script really SUCKs", or "got a fat head, your work is NOT that good". I know it is a roll of the dice too. You take your chances when you do competitions.

But here is the really cool thing! YOU can download my scripts! READ them for yourself (even if just the first 30 pages)! THEN, decide whether or not, sour grapes, the scripts suck or I have a fat head.

OR, if THE SOUND OF NIGHTMARES and WILLIE are pretty well written with fresh premise, solid, identifiable characters giving strong, believable dialogues.

Hey, I am not thin-skinned. I live, learn by doing, putting things out there to the public for their perusal. I learn by listening to what others say.

PLEASE, download the above scripts. The PDF is best for easy reading. IF you can -- give them a read? Pass the URLs (scripts) on to as many other writers or people in the Biz you know. Feel free to read some of the scripts that DID make the finalist list. Compare. A lot of people are now questioning AmazonStudios.

Then DECIDE for yourself if Amazon Studios is where you want to put your future work. No need for others to make the same mistake I have. Now I have to wait 18 months (or longer) to free my work for other destinations.

Cameron, you were right!

Once again:

THE SOUND OF NIGHTMARES

WILLIE

If I could get 100 downloads, wow, pass it on...

Back