I'm 17 and just wrapped my first feature

Connor, your achievement is fantastic and you've shown resourcefulness that will benefit you in both career and life. I'm happy for you and am looking forward to seeing the trailer (if not the actual film).

My previous comment wasn't made to imply that your rich daddy paid for everything, rather, it was a genuine question based on, not only my own, but the experiences of others, also.

See: a professional may lower his fee to work on a project he feels passionate about, but unless you know him personally and he's doing you/someone you know a huge favour, he'll always draw the line before doing a freebie. Professionals have bills to pay and are reluctant to hand out unpaid gigs simply because they are professionals (even if youäre paying them at 10% of their usual rate).

So, my remark about "pro's being paid because they're pro's" (or whatever it was), was by no means intended as an insult to you, your crew, friends or project. As you, yourself, pointed out, the Bernie bloke's agent made you pay for the change of his flight, his hotel and a daily working rate because he's a professional actor.

Seriously, your achievement is massive and you should feel proud of that. Not everyone you meet online is jealous or offensive... some of us just genuinely curious (and always looking for functional tips).

Thank you everybody. Thanks for all the compliments. I'm glad it was a spur of the moment to make it. If I had really thought this through I would have talked myself out of it. But I was so pissed not getting the series regular gig that I think I can dictate a lot of my own success and to get my name out there. At least that is the plan.

Hey Viva, I never assumed you were putting me down. I just wanted to come from a different angle.
I think I squashed the rich daddy thing. He pulled the plug on food.
They worked under deferred payment. There want me to make a Spoilers 2 next summer. So they would come back and do it again under the same terms.
I interviewed and looked at work before i hired the production guys. I did not know them. I didnt have one friend on the project. But, I did hire one girl that I knew but she got some horrible advice and came back with such horrible demands a week before filming that I fired her. I lost a friendship over it. I called up the actor from New York and asked her if she would do it. She booked her flight the minute she hung up the phone from me. To me that is a pro. She saw the big picture. The good thing was production thought she was the number one person from the beginning. When I emailed her and told her she didnt get the part I told her she was everyone's number one but my gut was saying to hire the local girl. She emailed back and said she understood. So when I texted her that I was wrong about the local girl she jumped in immeadiatly and we worried about the contract the next day. So I did learn to be kind to people because you never know when the paths will cross again.

So in the end, know one knew each other personally when we started but we all became pretty good friends when it ended.

I already know what I would do differently. I cant wait for next summer!

I will definitely post something when available.

cool man. I am 16 myself. I have only made a few shorts with family and I am hoping to make a better, actual short film I have an idea for soon. It's cool you are doing your own feature. I have to admit I did feel a bit pissed (jealousy) at how far you have gotten being just a year older than me lol. Good luck. Let us know what festivals you submit it too. Also curious, how do you plan on distributing it? Just online, or are you hoping to get it into some theaters/festivals? (you may have already answered this)

You've got a compelling story and you tell it well. Keep hustling like you did with this and the world will be your mollusk of choice. Hell, with that kind of hustle you don't even need to be good. ;)

mollusk? I looked it up and I still dont get it. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed. I'm finding out that at my age I dont have to be that good. Thank God. haha
Chime.. dont be envious. Just do your thang. It's not where you start its where you finish. I directed my first short at 10. So Im an old 17. :) That short played in 3 fests. So yes we are going the festival route. I got invited to one yesterday site unseen. That was a first.

Hey guys, I just put up a 30 second scene on our facebook page. Just playing around as my character enters the classroom. So if you want to see it you can go to Spoilers The Movie. It would be great if you liked the page too.

Thanks

mollusk? I looked it up and I still dont get it. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

Oh, sorry. It's a play on 'the world is your oyster' which is an old saying meaning 'the world is yours' or 'all opportunities are open to you.' The mollusk of choice thing is something from Tom Robbins novels.

Hey guys, I just put up a 30 second scene on our facebook page. Just playing around as my character enters the classroom. So if you want to see it you can go to Spoilers The Movie. It would be great if you liked the page too.

You might want to include a link to the page, I had a hard time finding it. Watched the trailer without sound, but it looks well shot. :)

Here is the link on Facebook...I think.. Spoilers The Movie If it isnt the link please type in Spoilers The Movie once on facebook.

And now I have a new saying. Thanks Dready

Sky.. So far I'm under budget. Making Pizzas, acting gigs, and Ive won a total of 1,500 hundred for acting (48 hr film /best commercial in the state) contests.

I thought I would check in. Let me add, casting, producing, shooting, directing, acting is way easier than Post production. I really thought I would be done in a month. My film started out a little over 2 hours and I was actually quite bummed. It dragged I'm really critical of my performance etc. It is starting to look like a real film as we are down to 1 hour 33 minutes. We decided on a new ending and we are shooting that in a little bit but we are finally getting really close to "locking the film." I think I'm using that phrase properly. Then we can score/color correct/sound design it.

I submitted a very very very rough edit to slamdance. Very! That is the one fest I really want to get into. I will submit to other fests when it is completed. I still havent sent out in press releases. I thought it would be smart when it is finished. I will start a indigogo campaign probably in December. I think I will need money to color correct it.

I am totally open to any suggestions on marketing still.

It is Locked

Took me 3 months to lock my film. I officially locked t tonight. 1hr 28min. That was a grind. On to sound/score. I want those done by 12-1 in a perfect world.

I was curious, what made you want Terry Kiser for your originally? Did you just think he would be a good fit, cause you didn't get him to audition first, right?

Oh hey thanks for the question... I thought I would get an email if someone responded. Terry Kiser was never a thought. In fact, I didnt even know who he was. But he was in town for another project. My parents then told me they they had parked cars for him at his house in Hollywood Hills 30 years ago when my parents were in college. At about the same time, I had a distributor find out about me and my age and contacted me. He asked who was in it. I have teens like me. Leads in Indy movies or a couple of scenes in bigger budget movies. So no name. He said I need a name. So I called his agent told her what I was doing and we negotiated everything. I wrote four scenes for him. Within 4 days of my first phone call he was on our set. Since then, Ive had two other distributors call me and say they are Terry Kiser fans. I think it was a good investment. If nothing else, he's invited my family to his home if we can get into a Austin Film Fest.

Very cool! Did you tell the agent the distributor that he was only in four scenes and he was cool with that? Or was the distributor under the impression that he was the main star?

Back